FresH2O's Shrimp Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pretty phenomenal growth considering there is no additional co2.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Pretty phenomenal growth considering there is no additional co2.

Up until a few days ago I was running the 24/7 in 24/7 mode; light is pretty intense in the middle of the day cycle. But hair algae was a problem as well. Would have been interesting if I was injecting CO2 in this tank. The carbon requirements for moss and subwassertang may be different than it is for stem plants.

Fresh, you have a beautiful tank!

Thanks! It's in my bed room and at eye level (when I'm in bed). I wanted something nice to look at before I fall asleep...zzzzzz

Awesome thanks much, always great to get firsthand info. Just a FYI for you, for what its worth. I've seen it called everything from an algae to a moss to a liverwort, turns out it is actually a fern gametophyte, scientific classification is Lomariopsis cf. lineata. Thanks again

Fern gametophyte? Makes sense though liverwort sounds plausible as well.

The tank looks good. It looks fresh and bright.
I have had little issue with algae overall and I am thinking it is because I always have lower to mid light but keep it on a long time and try to do the photo period rest or siesta as it is sometimes referred to for a couple hours or more mid day.
Looking forward to seeing how the results of the algae (not) growing test comes out ths week.

Thanks! I keep it at 8 hours max. Even with the light at 20%, it seem bright since I usually view the tank in the evenings. Hoping this reduces the hair algae.

On the subject of subwassertang, here are a few clumps under some manzanita branches in my high tech planted tank. Growth rate is about the same as in the shrimp tank, however, the color appears to be a bit darker:
wCwUUpRh.jpg

There's not much going on in this tank. Moss is growing slowly. Subwassertang taking over. I sold a few clumps of it recently.
I've noticed a few RCS larvae here are there. Something that has been absent in many, many months. Pleased as punch. However, not quite breeding at the rate I would have expected. I will try to get a pic posted soon.

Updated pic:
NfAXaeVh.jpg

Sorry for the slow load; this might be a higher than usual resolution pic

The tank is looking excellent! That red moss adds a nice touch and good contrast.

The red moss is doing better after I reduced the lighting. Color is redder and less translucent. Leaves are smaller and more compact. Growth has slowed down.
The amount of string algae on it and the other mosses is significantly less. I used to harvest it weekly with a toothbrush. It's been a few months since I've done that. Previous lighting was a Finnex FugeRay followed by a Finnex 24/7 running in 24/7 mode. I put the 24/7 on a timer for 8 hours and set it down to 10-20%. Yes, it's dimmer but light enough to see everything. Also, this tank is in a bedroom.
The subwassertang is growing and the clumps are probably shading the mosses below them. Most likely will be selling some.
I do try to add ferts to the tank (PPS-Pro) but I'm very inconsistent with it. By the size of the duckweed leaves, it appears that the nutrient levels are low in this tank.

Thank you. Have been wondering and whether or not to order some or keep trying to find it locally. I will be going to the summer aquarium club picnic and will ask around for someone who has it. Don't really want to spend for shipping unless there is no other option, lol.

Hey fresh! Any new pics of the tank?

Funny you should ask because I was thinking that this needs an update. I will post a pic later. I scrolled up and I must say, the tank looks about the same. However, lots of guppy grass and tons of subwassertang.
And babies. The last few months I've seen more babies than I did in 2015. Perhaps if I shed some of the vegetation they will be easier to see.

Here is a pic I took last night. The guppy grass on the left is abundant. The subwasswertang is plentiful as well:
qVMaJpPl.jpg

For reference: This is the large thumbnail option in the full browser version of Imgur

Removed almost all of the Guppy Grass and several clumps of subwassertang this morning. Tank looks dim for some reason. Weird, I figured it would have been lighter with less vegetation.
CnNjoEPh.jpg

Some cleaning is due for sure.
Maybe I am getting tired of the moss "carpet"..

Long time since my last update. Shrimp are breeding; many berried females present.
I got tired the subwassertang so I pulled about 90% of it and put it into my holding tank.
4Hy6JMdh.jpg
Here is a before and after pic of the tank. Lots of open space in front; I can actually see the shrimp now.
ton1n4uh.jpg

Back
Top Bottom