freshwater sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pool filter sand is a great option. It is heavier than most sands and is smooth. It doesn't cloud as much as other sands at the initial startup and is cheaper. Check out my gallery for some pics. Although, I did mix in some black sand for the peppered look.

Make sure the bed is <1", or you need to thoroughly stir the sand weekly, to prevent anerobic bacteria (toxic) pockets from forming. Pretty, but a PITA as far as I'm concernec, especially in a tank that size. I only use sand for burrowing species. JMO

If you do have a deeper sand bed (mine range from 2 1/2 to 4 inches), just pop in some MTS and you don't have to worry about stirring the sand. Or if you are interested in eels, I use them in the 29 gal tank and have never stirred the sand. They do it nicely for me. :) Plus they are cool to look at when they are hanging around in the greenery for their daily "tan". :)

does anyone knwo approximate prices on the different sands? i was thinking about using the same in my 55...

50 lbs of playsand from Home Depot is only $4.00. I use playsand in my 55.
I think Pool Filter Sand can be found for around $8.00, but don't quote me on that. :mrgreen:

I like pfs beacuse it doesn't cloud as much. Personally, mine has never clouded but I have heard of people having theirs cloud. I bought a 50 lb bag for I believe $7.

One of the pool stores around here (Watsons) wanted about $8 for a 50 lb bag. I almost got some and had paid for it. I went around to the back of their warehouse and the 16 year old kid that was working back in the warehouse... by himself... said they were out. Ah sheesh...

Back
Top Bottom