Freshwater snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oram_uk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I like the idea of some snails however can't seem to find much on freshwater snails.... just saltwater? I have a 30ltr tank so would only want a couple so if anyone has any advice I would be very grateful. I hear they can keep algae levels low?

I dont know of any algae eating snails, but snails will eat some algae. Apple, mystery, pond, malaysian trumpet, assasin, nerite, ramshorn... lots of fw snails.. my favorites are malaysian trumpet (mts) and mystery snails. pond snails can take over your tank if you overfeed, as will ramshorn. Assasins will eat other snails. mts burrow in your substrate.

Thanks for the reply. I only have a smallish tank so don't want anything that will get too big or take over the tank? Anything you could recommend that would meet this requirement?

Nerite snails are my favorite in terms of cleanup and control. They won't reproduce in FW and are among the best in terms of algae eaters.

I myself like mystery and nerite snails. In a small tank they would be great, I would stay away from the apple though, they tend to get as large as, well, apples.

Back
Top Bottom