Frogger Set-up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScorpioMoon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The past few days I've been getting my african dwarf frog set up started. I just got the stand tonight and decided where I was going to put it. I decided on my office since I would be sitting there more often and be able to enjoy them. I rinsed and put the substrate in a couple days ago along with a piece of slate, driftwood, and a little log. The driftwood laying on top of the slate will give the a little hiding space and the log is also open for hiding. I am still waiting on the extension hose for the python and then I plan on ordering the plants once I can fill the tank up. I hope that they will also provide a place to hide.
Any suggestions for additions? I bought some frog bites, and want to get some frozen blood worm. What else should I have on hand?
Also what do you think is a good number for the tank. I was told previously that I could get 8 in a 20 gallon, but what about the stuff that I've added? I'm thinking probably 6 would be comfortable...?

Well, I've added some pics to show the process...
img_862477_0_a77ac1badd4291004293d672678ede7b.jpg

img_862477_1_9b2acdf1a017dde12c05511ecb6ff567.jpg

img_862477_2_bb89d476f248c2b81df96a0023f7b591.jpg

img_862477_3_77ff4731e40090f65985c66eec17f29c.jpg

The tank looks perfect for them. :) I'm assuming you are going to fishless cycle the tank for them, since they may die from ammonia and nitrite.

I'm not exactly sure what is recommended for a 20g, but seeing as how they are small, I'd say that 6-8 would be ok. They seem to like friends from what I can tell by reading about them.

Someone else may chime in and say for sure what a good number will be.

I like the tank!

I think 8 will be too many. They get really big and eat a ton so they're really messy. I have five in a 15 gallon tank and its pushing it. From what I know the females can get the size of your hand.... you don't want to potentially have 8 giant females in a 20 gallon tank. Also, make sure they are all the same size when you get them. They eat like a pacman frog {cram anything they can fit into their mouths}. Mine are fed blood worms a few times a week, but I regularly supplement their diet with live waxworms, mealworms, crickets, and small or chopped earthworms. Don't feed them "redworms" which can be poisonous. Also, I'm not sure but I'd guess that plants will not stand up to the wear and tear of the frogs grabbing them or kicking them etc. They are very skiddish and jet around the tank if you disturb them. I could definitely see that dislodging your plants. Mine regularly try to eat my fingers when I clean their cage. They're really awesome pets. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom