Frogs Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gmanova

Aquarium Advice Activist
:thanks:I have an outdoor pond with Koi! I live on the East Coast where the pond freezes. I use a heater to let gases escape. I noticed a frog showed up the other day. I know nothing about frogs. Can they harm a poly liner? Also, when winter comes what should I do about the frog? Can they live in the pond? I hope someone is an expert about frogs who can teach me what I need to know to keep the frogs safe

Hi, Ive had many years of experience with frogs.
First (outta curiousity) what does it look like?
second: no worries, the frog should come and go as he pleases, he will survive winter on his own and can do nothing to harm your pond (he is quite helpful in the removal of insect pest however)

The frog will not harm your liner or your pond so no worries! They will find an area in or around your pond to hibernate for the winter on their own so do not disturb him. The only time frogs become a concern is when you are breeding fish as they will snack on fry. In return, the amount of eggs and resulting tadpoles from the frogs are excellent fish food. Its the cycle of nature and as your pond becomes 'naturalized', do not be surprised to see more critters that found your pond on their own accord. :)

Thanks jlk. Should I feed the frog? I feed Koi flakes and pellets. Is this sufficient nutrient along with natures surroundings? Will frog make it through the harsh winters in PA.? Curious how long frogs can live? I know Koi can reach 100 - 125 years.! Thanks again for your help.............. I am at ease now!

Thanks jlk. Should I feed the frog? I feed Koi flakes and pellets. Is this sufficient nutrient along with natures surroundings? Will frog make it through the harsh winters in PA.? Curious how long frogs can live? I know Koi can reach 100 - 125 years.! Thanks again for your help.............. I am at ease now!

No need to feed the frog! Trust me, they will find sufficient food (insects, leftover fish food, etc). I am in PA as well and I have quite a frog population in my pond including some bullfrogs that are the size of lily pads and probably weigh a pound or more. I honestly do not know how long they live but my frogs survive every winter without an issue (pond has de-icers and circulation pumps) and return every spring to repopulate the pond and any other outdoor container that I have with water in it! They are pretty tough so don't worry!! :)

I found a huge tree frog living in my hot tub , not in the water butstaying warn under the cover
frogs dig into the mud in ponds if you don't have a mud bottom deep enough they will go else wear for the winter
I googled it and frogs live for 4 to 15 years depending on the type
im guessing you have ether leopard frogs or bull frogs there the 2 most common frogs in that area

Back
Top Bottom