Frozen gum drops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drayven

Aquarium Advice Activist
Was at petco yesterday and they had these frozen fish gum drops by San Fransisco Bay. They're supposed to be a frozen fish food that contains bloodworms and such. I've been looking to expand my fishes diets and I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with these things before I actually put them in my tank. Is it really ok to just drop a frozen block of food in there?

I have no experiene with the gum drop variety. The only prob I could see with that is some fish don't like certain frozen foods. For examply, my oscars won't touch the frozen brine shrimp, but will devour the blood worms. (yeah, I find that weird too). If there is a mixture of different foods in it, your fish may like some, but not the others. However, I think it would be worth a try.

I drop the cubes in frozen. My oscars will take he whole frozen cube in there mouth and eat it. In my community tanks, they pick at the cube until pieces come off. You can defrost them in a cup of tank water and feed that way if you like as well, I've seen no difference either way in consumption or effects on the tank.

+1

For our BW tank though I do let them thaw in a cup of tank water. The little bumblebee gobys won't nibble the blocks and by time the blocks start to break up the piggish mollies and ghost shrimp have pretty much devoured everything.

Yes, I just started using these today to my bettas and they both seem to like them. they even search around the rocks to find remains if they can. I'm so far not having a problem with remains being left in the tank but I'd try it with yours and maybe divide them up to smaller chunks so if they don't love them you won't have leftovers sitting in your tank contaminated everything. Just my opinion....

I have a little plastic cone that floats at the top of the water, and I drop the frozen cubes into it, and as it melts, the fish are able to get the food. I don't remember where I got it, though.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom