Fry past the 1 week stage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Beautiful fish BrianNY. Any chance of seeing a pic of the snow white butterflies?

Oh, guess I should have checked your gallery first. Lovely fish.

OMG those Red Diamonds are beautiful, should I start getting my discus tank ready for the future arrival of Brian's one-of-kind-ultra-rare babies? :mrgreen: ? :mrgreen: ?

One of a kind? It's amazing to me that all of my adult discus seem unique. It's just that some are better looking than others :lol: :lol: :lol: .

It's premature for me to think about what I'd sell any of the fry for. I'm probably at least a year away from achieving anything substantial. The red diamonds ate their eggs last night and I view that as a set back.

I'm in the planning stage of building a high tech fish room :roll: Getting lots of advice on ways to save on energy and labor.

high tech fish room? *imagining robots systematically cleaning tanks, and scientists at work tables concocting the perfect receipie for fish food*

:mrgreen:

Snow white butterfly pic for you Fluff. I'm sure I have better shots on my home computer than here at work. I'll have to look

:lol: :lol: :lol: I just read your response on a high tech fish room rubysoho.

The room would require several things. Enough electrical outlets strategically placed, and a back up system in case of an outage. A fully enclosed water storage system (I'm thinking about 300 gallons), maintained at 84 degrees, with a pump to do water changes. An air exchanger to keep the humidity down.

As far as the scientists concocting the perfect fish food :lol: . Well water quality is more important than food. I'm still doing lots of experimenting with that. I'm thinking the spawns will be more prolific if I stop using straight tap water, and find the ideal mix of RO and tap.

8O oooooOOOOOooooo that sounds awesome. You'll have to have a tour guide because everyone will want to see it. Good luck!

You're not a nag robertmarda. I'm really enjoying sharing this with anyone that cares to look. I'm down to 6 fry. I was planning on taking dad out but.... he's so good that I'm going to leave them together a little while longer. The fry still swim to him when they're startled. That's a good sign IMO.

I've found a better pic of the snow whites (female is on the right)

Yep deeni0z, that's a ceramic breeding cone or discus love nest. LOL

And I don't know exactly why fry die Mofo. I watched one struggle to swim. When that happens the fry can no longer eat and dies rather quickly. This morning I only have 5. :( :( :(

:( sorry to hear about your losses in fry. How are the remaining fry doing? Or do you think you might loose the whole batch? :(

Day 18, and I've 5 fry left. At some point this week I'll remove the fry to their own 20 gal. Talk about MTS :roll: . Then I'll reintroduce the female to the breeding tank with her mate. I expect that this pair will get better and better and will produce larger spawns eventually.

I know that male is slightly over 2 years old. I'm thinking it takes this much time for them to just get the hang of it. :lol:

Congrats on your success so far, Brian! It seems that each successive spawning goes better than the previous one. Soon, you'll be up to your eyeballs in discus! :D

WOW! beautiful discus. just wow! how much fry do you have? any for sale? how hard was the hole prosses?

WOW! beautiful discus. just wow! how much fry do you have? any for sale? how hard was the hole prosses?

Back
Top Bottom