Fungal bloom taking over my aquarium?? What is this?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm so upset right now I really want to cry and just quit

So just to recap since this has been a long long process.

1: gooey buildup in water causing water to thicken becoming mucus like.
2: tank was drained and bleached along with all decorations and filter.
3. Hydrogen peroxide didn't have an effect on it.
4. Pimafix and melafix has no effect.
5. Grows in dark areas fastest.

Have you tried any other treatments?

The hydrogen peroxide did help with the plants. I did a second dip for a little longer. Although I lost almost all of them. I still have three that are doing alright and have bounced back a little.

I haven't tried anything else yet. When I added the fish to the tank I dosed them with melafix and pimafix too just an extra safety precaution. Wondering what's next? It's not growing as fast this go round. Hoping it's struggling to thrive and when my tank starts to balance out it'll just die off or something :/ water parameters are .25 ammonia (less now as I did a 30% water changes after testing) and 0 nitrite and nitrate.

Seems to prefer fast flowing areas (I guess it likes high oxygen) or low light. Probably both.

The hydrogen peroxide did help with the plants. I did a second dip for a little longer. Although I lost almost all of them. I still have three that are doing alright and have bounced back a little.

I haven't tried anything else yet. When I added the fish to the tank I dosed them with melafix and pimafix too just an extra safety precaution. Wondering what's next? It's not growing as fast this go round. Hoping it's struggling to thrive and when my tank starts to balance out it'll just die off or something :/ water parameters are .25 ammonia (less now as I did a 30% water changes after testing) and 0 nitrite and nitrate.

Oh no :( bugger.

There seems to be no way. Did you try the myacine in the end?

Just read all of the text and wowzer, you are one hell of a trooper. I really hope you beat this crap, I fought it myself about 5 years ago and unfortunately lost my entire stock. I tried everything I could think of, from medication to old school hourly cleaning regimes. With all of this help and advice you CANNOT fail! Kick *** my friend and beat this thing for everyone who didn't!

Just read all of the text and wowzer, you are one hell of a trooper. I really hope you beat this crap, I fought it myself about 5 years ago and unfortunately lost my entire stock. I tried everything I could think of, from medication to old school hourly cleaning regimes. With all of this help and advice you CANNOT fail! Kick *** my friend and beat this thing for everyone who didn't!

Can I ask if you tried vinegar at all? That's the only thing I have heard of that may work and I'm not sure if it was the same thing.

Also if you tried bactericides at all?

I actually did try vinegar as well with the filter but not on the tank itself.

Vinegar as well - sigh. That stuff seems evil is all I can say. Will keep searching, there must be something.

Ghost-busters???

I'll send out a few PMs to get some people to look at this thread and get some more opinions.

Personally, I would say the next step is a broad spectrum antibiotic but maybe a few other people looking at the thread can throw some other ideas out there.

Well it's definitely struggling to come back. Yesterday I wiped down the inside of the filter with a paper towel wet with peroxide. I didn't get all of it just what was exposed to air from the filter being turned off. And wiped down the rest of the glass in the aquarium that was exposed after draining 30% of the water and just scraped off what was on the glass underwater and siphoned it all up. Well this morning I turn my light on and check the filter first thing and I don't see any! Well there's a teeny tiny bit but it's definitely having a hard time growing. Compared to last time it only took 8 hours to engulf my tank. It's been 24 hours and it's just the smallest amount in my filter and none on any of the glass. :) I'm just going to keep it at bay until my tank balances out. I did also dose the tank with some stability so maybe that is helping it too. The only problem is it is still in the filter media. I can't really rinse it out enough to keep my filter from back flowing. Which is frustrating? What should I do about the media? Just get a complete new one again?

Good news :) Do you have fish in there? Can I ask what is different this time in tank setup that it is not so aggressive?

Otherwise I think I would ditch the media until it is gone - just run the filter empty and get a new set again. I'm guessing it is coming out of the media each time?

If there were fish in there perhaps a bag of new media hung in the tank where there is good flow.

There's. Actually a lot of different things are going on this time. difference is I don't have air stones running in my tank. From the looks of it this stuff likes to colonize where there is lots of water movement. (I didn't not put the stones in on purpose. Just haven't gotten around to it) The gravel is different. I previously had fluorite with gravel over the fluorite. But now I have Eco complete, which is packed with beneficial bacteria ( although I don't believe it's the kind of bacteria I'm needing to cycle? Not sure though) so there's a lot of different things this go round. My light has changed from a light equipped for plants to a dim, blue tint and dim light bulb as I no longer have enough plants to run that light without algae going crazy.

Soooo different lights, different gravel, no co2, no ferts (I'm thinking this might be a factor in it being able to flourish very quickly) and no more plants :( can't wait to get them going again. But it will have to wait for awhile :/

I would just like to say that this has happened to me before when I was a newbie. LOL its too much bacteria from either overdosing Stress Zyme products to kickstart a cycle, or from a bad batch of bacteria. Either way, for god sake get any fish out of there if there are any and clean out the tank and start over. Shortly after I had this happen to me (yeah at the time I knew nothing and was like, well good bacteria is all good durk durk) shortly followed by a columnaris outbreak which killed all of my guppies. Always follow directions and dose a little less not a little more. In our excitement its easy to walk past and dump chemicals into a tank thinking it will magically solve any fish problem for the next 6 months, but in reality it just ruins the water.

Mebbid asked me to look at this thread and I read through some of it but need to ask a couple questions.

You said you used hydrogen peroxide but how? If there is no stock in a tank you can do a whole tank treatment by turning off your filter and adding 8ml of hydrogen peroxide for every gallon of water. Then let the aquarium sit for about 40 minutes. During that time as much as this pains me to say I would trash the filter media and give the entire filter a good wash with straight peroxide. You also need to bleach or soak the bio-wheel in peroxide. Make sure to pull out the magnetic propeller and such to be sure everything is clean. You can order a seeded sponge from Angels Plus to help reseed the filter but IMO you are just going to have to do an fish in cycle. Also keep an eye on ammonia and nitrite where ever your keeping the fish right now. In all the years I've been in this hobby I've never seen a tank so completely consumed.

If there is anything I need to know that I might have missed let me know. I'll help if I can.

Also are you running the tank lights? Have you noticed a difference with growth between when lights are on or off?

View attachment 210231

View attachment 210232

View attachment 210233

View attachment 210234

Excuse the mess. I wasted no time getting the fish out and have destroyed all plants in the process. It's very difficult to see in there
Hi, I would put a air stone in the bucket, if possible get a submergable filter, I would clean out you filters and change the filter media. I don't know but you will probably have to start over with your tank. What kind of filter do you have and why are you using a UV on a fresh water setup? I wouldn't use it myself. But it sounds like what you got wasn't ich or least not the main cause. The spike of the Amomnia to .25 maybe one of your fish died or someone put something into you tank. you can go to the pet shop and get some mytho blue I believe that is what it is called to kill the ich. but the ich I don't think would have cause the slime on your tank, probably something came in on the plant you added, don't know but I would try to save as much of the bacteria as possible and then just clean your tank out and wash the gravel or just change it, I use sand myself. I am sorry you are have this trouble, I hope this help and maybe another hobbist may know something else to help, good luck.

I would just like to say that this has happened to me before when I was a newbie. LOL its too much bacteria from either overdosing Stress Zyme products to kickstart a cycle, or from a bad batch of bacteria. Either way, for god sake get any fish out of there if there are any and clean out the tank and start over. Shortly after I had this happen to me (yeah at the time I knew nothing and was like, well good bacteria is all good durk durk) shortly followed by a columnaris outbreak which killed all of my guppies. Always follow directions and dose a little less not a little more. In our excitement its easy to walk past and dump chemicals into a tank thinking it will magically solve any fish problem for the next 6 months, but in reality it just ruins the water.
That does not make sense. It's probably a coincidence that you got it after pouring chemicals into the tank.

I don't think you guys read the whole thread haha I've already restarted my tank. I bleached everything including the filter. And then after the filter dried I soaked with vinegar and then after that I even used peroxide using a wet paper towel to wipe down the inside. I tossed the bio wheel and just got a completely new one. Same with the media. Purchased new gravel. The fish were ALL counted for. (Even my assassins) I don't have many and keep tabs of them all. (I count them daily multiple times a day. Actually sometimes close to 100 times a day it's an odd OCD of mine) I'm no longer running the plant light but a blue tinted light. I think it's color enhancing. The fish no longer have ick. I did water changes on their temp bucket twice a day and I think it helped rid the ick. The uv is nothing harmless and I don't rely on it to keep my tank clean. I do weekly 45-50% changes.

Back
Top Bottom