Funny Story

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matman

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, I lost my first peppermint shrimp the morning after i got it.

So...i woke up this morning, and i see laying on my live rock, a hollowed out shell of a shrimp. I was so upset! I later realized that the bigger shrimp had just shed...or whatever its called. I was so relieved!

BTW, it is AWESOME to feed the shrimp from your hand!!

molting and it happens every once in a while. Make sure your ca is good because they use it to form the new shells.

Cool! Mine haven't molted yet, but they seem happy and active, and they eat like pigs, so it shouldn't be too long.......

shrimp feeding

Im new at salt water and I have a question,yesterday I got two camel back shrimps and I havent seem them eating at all since,they just hide behind the live rock.
Any advise would be great.

Well, the best thing to do is to check your parameters. Inverts are sticklers for nitrates. However, mine are high and my anemone, shrimp and starfish are all doing great.

I'm sure they will eat eventually...mine are pigs. They take the food from the anemone when its trying to eat. Try feeding directly from your hand.

Let me know if it gets better!

What is causing your high nitrates? My two salt tanks both have 0 nitrates, 0 nitrites, and 0 ammonia. But it seems like tons of people have a lot of problems with their nitrates.

Well, arent YOU special! HAHA!

I honestly dont know what is causing my high nitrates. I've done a couple of water changes, and actually added live plants cause i heard they can bring them down.

I havent checked my parameters recntly, so i will and let you know/

What do I feed camelback shrimp? and how I hand feed them?,they hide behind the live rock and can barely see them :roll:

I feed mine regular flake food. Just put some in your hand and put it near them they should jump all over it.

i have a couple of cleaner shrinmp and 1 coral banded they would not eat for a couple of weeks then all of a sudden they eat like hogs they will even swim upside down on the water's surface to get the flake food before my fish its really a funny sight to watch
:lol:

Most of the time you don't see your shrimp eat. They are scavengers, and will eat what they come across. I know some shrimp it takes time for them to get adjusted; while other are out from the time you put them in the tank.

Please don't laugh, but I am a bit afraid of my coral banded shrimp. :oops: I have left my hand in the tank and he "tasted" my fingers with his antenna, but he also made a lunging motion and it freaked me out. How strong are those little pincers?

My girlfriends mom had a monster of a coral banded shrimp...i was scared of that one!

I handfeed my peppermint shrimp...you can feel them picking at your fingers, but it doesnt hurt

Back
Top Bottom