Garlic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcdwep

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok. One thing that I have learned in this hobby is that there are ways around the expensive manufacturers if you search. I want to know what is the best route to buy garlic to add to fish food to help prevent ick? It is not terribly expensive thorugh Kent/etc... but there has to be a cheaper way.
Is there a product at my local grocery store or is there an easy way to manufacture it myself?
Just Curious.

You really can't screw up blender mush but my personal recipe which I have found to work in feeding even a Bicolor Angel which if anyone knows are very picky in eating is as follows: oysters, clams, mussels, shrimp, a few sheets of nori, some ESV phytoplankton, a few fresh cloves of garlic and some tank water all into the blender and than frozen in ziplock baggies. It has worked for me for a few months and $15 will get you a lot more than any frozen stuff you buy at your LFS. HTH

When I dosed garlic I would either get garlic juice from the grocery store or I would get fresh garlic cloves and press the oil/water out of them onto a plate and then soak the food or nori on that plate before feeding. The trick to the garlic press to get the water and not the flesh of the garlic is to press slowly. This will squeze the water out of the clove. Once you have about all the water yoru going to get from the first squese go ahead and press the flesh thru the press and then put the clove back thru the press for a second run. You seem to get more juice out of it the second time around.

My blender much conists of:

Saltwater
Tuna steak
Oysters
Clams
Squid
Scallops
Shrimp
Nori

Add Saltwater to get a workable consistancy. With out the salt water you end up with a discusstingly thick milkshake type liquid. As JohnNLuc described you then pour a little into ziplock freezer bags and press so its about 1/4" thick. Lay these flat in the freezer to harden. Then just break off a little chunk and thaw in some saltwater for feeding.

A little goes a long way so you dont need but maybe 1/2 a lb of each ingredent and you will have enough food for several months of feedings.

That sounds great. That is exactly the information I was searching for. If anyone else has a fish or coral food recipe....please post it!

you can also buy Garlic Extract at any health food store ... I got some at at local place for $5 ... can't remeber the actual amount, though it is a lot!

Back
Top Bottom