GBOY & NU NU 30 gal saltwater build!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello i had a question about corals

At my lfs they have a HUGE reef tank as a show tank, but they grow corals in there and sell them. The only problem is that they sell the corals at an insanely high price. 15 bucks for a tiny frag??! 40 bucks for polyps?!? It is pretty much the only lfs with saltwater around here so i think they take advantage of their location. Anyways i want corals, but i have no idea where i would be able to find some cool ones. Does live aquaria have some fair prices?

I really like polyps, frog spawn, torch corals, mushrooms, brain coral, yellow tube coral, and duncans....

Are these good/simple/cheap corals for me? Thank you

Hi asking on forums like this may help as some one may have some frags they could sell you cheaply. Also do you have fish clubs or similar idea where members may swap frags etc?
Ps Nu Nu the Eel you have to many P/Ms in your inbox so i cannot P/M you:nono:

stingrays4 said:
Hi asking on forums like this may help as some one may have some frags they could sell you cheaply. Also do you have fish clubs or similar idea where members may swap frags etc?
Ps Nu Nu the Eel you have to many P/Ms in your inbox so i cannot P/M you:nono:

Ya any frag would be awesome! I dont care what it is ;) and i dont think we have any clubs like that.... :/ i would love to find a place to buy frags cheap :D

I have deleted the whole inbox! Haha

Haha okay i will try it! I dont know of many people who even own fish tanks:( so i doubt there is a club

K guys christmas is nearing...time to pull out the list! So far im trying to get
Rwfractometer
Rodi unit
Reef salt (suggestions??)
Fluval heater (suggestions??)
Live rock!!

EDIT: we hae the AC 70, what do we need for it? Purigen and foam or somthing? Could someone post a link? Thanks

Gboy66 said:
K guys christmas is nearing...time to pull out the list! So far im trying to get
Rwfractometer
Rodi unit
Reef salt (suggestions??)
Fluval heater (suggestions??)
Live rock!!

EDIT: we hae the AC 70, what do we need for it? Purigen and foam or somthing? Could someone post a link? Thanks

Go with baserock, it takes around the same amount of time to cycle if its not cured. Aqueon Pros are really good heaters. I use reef crystals in my aggressive reef. That's bout all lol

Ibrahim said:
Go with baserock, it takes around the same amount of time to cycle if its not cured. Aqueon Pros are really good heaters. I use reef crystals in my aggressive reef. That's bout all lol

If i cant find a 2$/lb deal, i will go mostly base rock. And aqueon eh? Ill look into it! And how big of a box of reef crystals? Thanks for chiming in ibrahim

Gboy66 said:
If i cant find a 2$/lb deal, i will go mostly base rock. And aqueon eh? Ill look into it! And how big of a box of reef crystals? Thanks for chiming in ibrahim

Np. I buy 50g bags once every few months.

Gboy66 said:
Ok, we have two extra 10 gallon tanks, and was thinking we need to make it a QT tank for the saltwater tank, because ich is harder to treat and more common in sw correct? But, i dont know how to do this! The qt cant be permanent, but only up for when we have the fish, and only up for that week or two. Dont you need 2 filters to instantly cycle the 10 QT? we have 2, could someone tell me how to do this? Thanks!

You would need to cycle it as you stated and have to use sponge filters and fake plants as hiding spots because live rock or substrates will absorb the medication. Cycling I'd go with dr Tims one and only and the filters to seed the sponge which will have you cycled in 1-2weeks. If you have time then cycle like a regular tank which will be more cost effective

Ibrahim said:
You would need to cycle it as you stated and have to use sponge filters and fake plants as hiding spots because live rock or substrates will absorb the medication. Cycling I'd go with dr Tims one and only and the filters to seed the sponge which will have you cycled in 1-2weeks. If you have time then cycle like a regular tank which will be more cost effective

Ya, i just dont want to have another tank running...ya know?

Let me tell you, I tried a "reef safe" ich treatment...yes I know it isn't a 'cure'...but of my 2 clownfish the one did amazing and hasn't looked better. The other was snail food. Still not sure about the stuff. But in terms of a QT, just make sure its pretty bare. Mine is a small hexagon tank since I'm limited on space. Going to use a piece of PVC or something similar as a hiding spot.

Sniperhank said:
Let me tell you, I tried a "reef safe" ich treatment...yes I know it isn't a 'cure'...but of my 2 clownfish the one did amazing and hasn't looked better. The other was snail food. Still not sure about the stuff. But in terms of a QT, just make sure its pretty bare. Mine is a small hexagon tank since I'm limited on space. Going to use a piece of PVC or something similar as a hiding spot.

Ya, do you keep yours running full time? If so, how do you keep it cycled?

No I do not keep it running full time as the heater is used for making up new water. Cycled is easy... I took water from my water change and half used/half new and get it to temp. I haven't kept anything in QT for months like some...a week max.

Sniperhank said:
No I do not keep it running full time as the heater is used for making up new water. Cycled is easy... I took water from my water change and half used/half new and get it to temp. I haven't kept anything in QT for months like some...a week max.

Wait so you just put up the tank with some new/some old water and it is stable for fish right away? Do you have the second filter on the DT then move it ti the QT? lol im probably missing somthing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom