Gbr breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yea it was crazy! I heard it takes two weeks and mine layed eggs before that, and now it seems like they would soon again too, and it's been about one week

For the first time I'm noticing my male being very aggressive. Attacking shrimp. Chasing the female. It's been a week since the eggs. You think it's possible that they might be about to lay eggs again?

The second time mine laid eggs it didn't last more than an hour. :(

So they are laying eggs right now again!!! But this time they are on a 36g tank by themselves, is a well planted tank so hopefully I can get some babies this time (crossing my fingers)

Is it common for the male to take care of the eggs? I mean just the male and not the female? Thats what mine are doing, the male is over the eggs and the female doesn't get close to them at all

Is it common for the male to take care of the eggs? I mean just the male and not the female? Thats what mine are doing, the male is over the eggs and the female doesn't get close to them at all

Congrats! Thats super exciting!

That's what was happening with me the last time, the female seemed pretty disinterested and the male was doing most of the patrolling and care. I think the first time it was more mutual though, and she might wind up coming back once she relaxes, but hey, she just laid a lot of eggs! Ha ha. But really, I've heard it can be the male, the female, or both that takes part in the fanning and protecting. I wouldn't stress about it either way.

Thanks, yea at least he's not eating them,(yet) and he seems to be protecting them pretty good, maybe this would be the one!!! I hope. Now the lights are off so we'll see tomorrow

Thanks, yea at least he's not eating them,(yet) and he seems to be protecting them pretty good, maybe this would be the one!!! I hope. Now the lights are off so we'll see tomorrow

I hope so! I've been hoping third times the charm for me, & I believe it's your third time too with them, so let's hope! ;) good luck!

I woke up and the eggs are still there :) yey!!! Thats way longer than last time.

I woke up and the eggs are still there :) yey!!! Thats way longer than last time.

Awesome! I think if you make it to the afternoon you'll be solid! Mine would usually lay at night and survive till the morning, and then be gone by like 9:00. So if they are still there, or still there in a couple hours, I would definitely guess you to be in the clear! Yay good luck!!

Yea im gonna check on them when i come back from work, the female was with the eggs too, thats good :)

They are still here :) there's some white eggs in there but not a lot. So I'm very exited that this may be the one!!!! What should i feed the fish once they are swimming? I've been feeding flakes to my swordtail babies but i think the rams baby would be much smaller. Anyone knows whats the best food for them?

They are still here :) there's some white eggs in there but not a lot. So I'm very exited that this may be the one!!!! What should i feed the fish once they are swimming? I've been feeding flakes to my swordtail babies but i think the rams baby would be much smaller. Anyone knows whats the best food for them?

Yay yay congrats!

I've heard not to worry too much about the eggs that have gone bad, that if you try to remove them you can harm more eggs in the process than just leaving it to nature.

As for the food, I'm not sure about the babies. I haven't gotten that far yet! Ha ha. But hopefully someone answers for you!

Once again, good luck!

Thank you! Once again. Hehehehe yea I'm not messing with anything, I'm letting them do their thing. And the eggs are still there :)

How are your eggs doing?? I just noticed my GBRs had eggs last night, first I've actually seen myself. I've had 3 pairs for about 6 months now. It's a VERY well planted tank with lots of things to hide in, so its very possible I've missed a few hidden batches. I read this thread trying to see what to expect, and I'm getting that if it is their first its likely they will be eaten :) I haven't noticed fry in the 6 months so if there has been previous eggs I assume they were a meal as well. I'm curious of yours are still hanging in there this morning!

The eggs are still here ;) but they look weird, I hope they are still doing good. I cant take a good look at them because of where they are, but they look different from yesterday. Good luck with yours! The good thing is that your tank is well planted and they have more space to hide. What else do you have in your tank?

I just saw two little eggs with tails move lol yea thats how they looked, I think they are hatching now. I've heard if i put some javamoss the little guys would have some food so i put some out of my other tank in there. :)

The eggs are still here ;) but they look weird, I hope they are still doing good. I cant take a good look at them because of where they are, but they look different from yesterday. Good luck with yours! The good thing is that your tank is well planted and they have more space to hide. What else do you have in your tank?

Aside from a few cories, just 4 longfin leopard danios that stay at the top. I did have a few angels in there but when I bought the ram pairs I figured if I ever wanted ram fry I better move them out. They eat like pigs. Since my eggs were bound to be eaten anyway I thought I'd try a suggestion I seem on here and put the rock w/ eggs in a solid bottom net breeder in the tank last night. So far so good. I see two white ones but I'm not sure how to go about removing them. I read on here that using a toothpick could damage the other eggs

Back
Top Bottom