Gbr sex?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But other than the pink belly it has every other sign that it's a female...

What other signs?? I have never been able to identify a female any other way then the belly. Fins, blackspot. ect. can all be debated. The Rosie belly is the only true tell IMO. That ram shows every indicator of being male. If I bought that fish. I would have done it assuming I was getting a male. If it turned out to be female. I would have be shocked. Not to say I'm 100% correct. I just don't see the indicators your seeing. :ermm:

You could say that by this pic the ram would be female due to the spangling of the spot.
67720-albums10791-picture48768.jpg

But it's the male of one of my pairs.

this is my male sail fin
67720-albums10791-picture48770.jpg

and a "classic" pair.
67720-albums10791-picture51795.jpg

I think the breeding lines have become blurred to the point that the belly hue is the only read.

Again this is based solely on my first hand experience with trying to find the breeding pair I have. I learned very quickly the only thing to trust was the belly.

Last edited:
What other signs?? I have never been able to identify a female any other way then the belly. Fins, blackspot. ect. can all be debated. The Rosie belly is the only true tell IMO. That ram shows every indicator of being male. If I bought that fish. I would have done it assuming I was getting a male. If it turned out to be female. I would have be shocked. Not to say I'm 100% correct. I just don't see the indicators your seeing. :ermm:

You could say that by this pic the ram would be female due to the spangling of the spot.

But it's the male of one of my pairs.

this is my male sail fin

and a "classic" pair.

I think the breeding lines have become blurred to the point that the belly hue is the only read.

Again this is based solely on my first hand experience with trying to find the breeding pair I have. I learned very quickly the only thing to trust was the belly.

The head shape looks female, the fin development looks very female... But if u think its a male ill agree with that. You've been doing it longer than me.

I did buy it thinking it was male but yes I guess time will tell :) I haven't seen the rubbing bodies yet but the new one does follow her around. There's no aggression at all between them

I have a thread I posted asking opinions on sexes of mine. Everyone guessed right. This is my male, his belly does have a light pink tone I occasionally especially when I first got him and he was stressed. You can tell a little in this pic, he also has some blue speckles in his black spot, alot when stressed but generally speaking he has a section of black spot that doesn't get blue in it.

Attachments

• image-350469811.jpg
    image-350469811.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 50
Back
Top Bottom