Gbr sex?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Look for long spikes on the front of the dorsal fin. And if I am correct, males never have any pink on their bellies.

There's no pink on the belly thats why I thought a boy. Do the longer fins on the males form as they get older?

There's no pink on the belly thats why I thought a boy. Do the longer fins on the males form as they get older?

1st pic to me looks like there it a little spot of pink in its belly. Can get longer with age.

Ill try and get some more pics as far as I can see theres no pink belly. My other female has a very distinct pink belly and is quite a lot smaller. But the fins don't look long.

Still look female aswell in the vid? I'm not phased about having too females as long as they keep getting along if that's the case.

I have two, both have some pink in the bellies one i know is a female and the other I wasn't sure about, I think yours looks a bit like the one I think is a male. I saw there breeding tubes when they laid eggs. And one obviously had a blunt wide breeding tube and one had a pointy tube. They protected their eggs and eventually ate them. I think the pic above could be a male based on the looks of mine but I didn't see the dorsal fins very well.

Both have blue spotting in the black blotch behind the gill flaps. My research has returned that this is the primary way to sex them. Females will have blue speckles in the black blotch where males never will. In both pictures, both fish exhibit the blue speckles in the black blotch.

So still IMO they are both females according to what I have read.

If they are at breeding size, about 1.25"+ then you should know soon enough. If you can whiteness them spawning of corse.

Both have blue spotting in the black blotch behind the gill flaps. My research has returned that this is the primary way to sex them. Females will have blue speckles in the black blotch where males never will. In both pictures, both fish exhibit the blue speckles in the black blotch.

So still IMO they are both females according to what I have read.

If they are at breeding size, about 1.25"+ then you should know soon enough. If you can whiteness them spawning of corse.

That is the worst way to sex them. Because of bad breeding that has become inaccurate. I look at head shape, body shape, fin development.

It looks to me like you have a male and female. The new ram looks like a male to me. It doesn't have the classic Rosie hue to the belly that even the most faded of females would show.

Question: has your female's belly color deepened since the introduction of the new ram? If so, that would be an Indicator at she was trying to attract the new ram.

It looks to me like you have a male and female. The new ram looks like a male to me. It doesn't have the classic Rosie hue to the belly that even the most faded of females would show.

Question: has your female's belly color deepened since the introduction of the new ram? If so, that would be an Indicator at she was trying to attract the new ram.

She's always had such a deep pink belly I haven't noticed if its gotten deeper. Well it would be nice if I have a male as well but no problem if I have 2 girls.

But other than the pink belly it has every other sign that it's a female...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom