Gel Food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nirbhao

Aquarium Advice Addict
Do you make your own (or buy) gel food? What do you put it in, specifically for the meat?

After my dog ate our bottle of flake food, I'm looking in to substitutes. It's an issue of gluten: Both my daughter and I have severe celiac disease, and we just prefer to not bring gluten into the house at all.

We feed a different frozen food almost every day: Rotifers, brine shrimp, bloodworms, another shrimp, and cyclops. We also do sheet seaweed. From what I've read, though, that's not enough.

We're feeding guppies, a dwarf gourami, and harlequin rasboras. We have blue rams in a separate tank, so I can make them separate food if necessary.

The most promising lead I've found, aside from frozen food, is gel food. I've made snail jelly, which is great except that it floats and I have to do something to hold it down. My understanding is that adding *meat* to the gel food helps with buoyancy (or the lack thereof). I've found this recipe, which looks promising, directed from celiac.com.

Again, for the snail jelly, using the food processor to combine calcium carbonate, spinach, sheet seaweed, and garlic worked very well. Right now the question is about the meat. Can I just add straight up cocktail shrimp? Tuna? Whatever is cheap at the deli counter?

In short, I'm looking to make gel food that meets dietary needs and sinks. Thanks!

New Life Spectrum has two gel mixes, algae/gel and nutri/gel. They would probably be good options if you just want the easy route, from my research they use high quality, nutritious ingredients in everything they put out.

Back
Top Bottom