General medication/quarantine practices?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missmonday

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone,

I've set up a cycled 10 gallon quarantine tank to try to be a better fish keeper and not potentially spread disease to my 29 gallon display tank.

I know the 10g seems a little crowded right now, but as its only a temporary situation, I'm hoping you guys will over look it. :angel: I do weekly water changes and vacuum up any uneaten food. Currently, there's 6 panda cories and 2 honey gourami in there.

Everyone else has been in there for a week, but I just introduced a female gourami and 2 cories today, so the quarantine time will be extended by a week. I plan on quarantining for a whole month.

I had one cory die within a day or two of purchase, it hardly moved when I introduced it, so it seems it was weak or ill before I purchased it.

I have not bbeen putting any medications in the tank at all, as I don't want to do anything to stress the cories. Everyone seems happy and healthy and I can't see anything unusual.

Should I be medicating preventativly? The cories I know are tank raised. All stock purchased from The Wet Spot in Portland.

Hello everyone,

I've set up a cycled 10 gallon quarantine tank to try to be a better fish keeper and not potentially spread disease to my 29 gallon display tank.

I know the 10g seems a little crowded right now, but as its only a temporary situation, I'm hoping you guys will over look it. :angel: I do weekly water changes and vacuum up any uneaten food. Currently, there's 6 panda cories and 2 honey gourami in there.

Everyone else has been in there for a week, but I just introduced a female gourami and 2 cories today, so the quarantine time will be extended by a week. I plan on quarantining for a whole month.

I had one cory die within a day or two of purchase, it hardly moved when I introduced it, so it seems it was weak or ill before I purchased it.

I have not bbeen putting any medications in the tank at all, as I don't want to do anything to stress the cories. Everyone seems happy and healthy and I can't see anything unusual.

Should I be medicating preventativly? The cories I know are tank raised. All stock purchased from The Wet Spot in Portland.

Hi missmonday:

It sounds to me like you have a good quarantine system set up. I wouldn't add any medication to the quarantine tank unless an actual problem becomes apparent. I always hesitate to put medicine into any tank that doesn't have an obviously sick fish in it. I would say keep monitoring the parameters in the Q tank and keep checking the fishes during their time in quarantine. You're doing it right!

-Yorg

Back
Top Bottom