german ram white spot on head

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lscotty

Aquarium Advice Regular
One of my rams got a white spot on his head recently. I moved him to a quarantine tank that i set up with water and media from the main tank so I could watch him and the next day he also got ich also. Poor guy does not look happy. Any help on what the white spot on his head is and possible treatments? Kind of looks like the start of hole in the head from pictures I looked at.

I added a picture of the tank he was in also it is a 135g with a fluval fx5 and a diy canister that does 150 gph. Also in the tank are 10 zebra danios, 3 other german rams, 3 juli corys, 3 peppered corys, 2 true sae, 6 lampeye tetras. I was going get more fish when I noticed the ram had the white spot and figured I'd better figure out whats going on 1st.
The tank has live plants, some rocks and driftwood and aquasoil substrate. The tank has been set up for about 2 months since being moved. When it was moved it was drained for about 2 hours then refilled. The danios were in the tank for almost 3 weeks while everything else was in another tank. So its been over a moth with everthing in the tank. It is fully cycled 0 ammonia 0 nitrites 5 nitrates. I do weekly pwc between 25 and 50%.

Thanks for any help or advice

Attachments

• 20140905_084056.jpg
    20140905_084056.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 61
  • 20140905_084101.jpg
    20140905_084101.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 20140825_002356.jpg
    20140825_002356.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 49
It looks like columnaris. There is no know cure and I'm sorry to say but it's usually fatal. But I have had some fish survive from it. What I do is put in some aquarium salt, stress coat and any ich medication. Every day I did 50-60% water changes and did this for about a week and if there's no change then it could be too late. If caught early they can usually survive. Hope this helped. Good luck to you and your fish. Hope he feels better c:

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Mine died of that and my other one has it now... Not much we can do

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I just looked that up and it does sound about right. Sounds like it spreads easily also. Hopefully the rest of the fish dont get it. Any recommendations on possible treatments

Back
Top Bottom