Getting a New 36g Bowfront Tank:D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
tannis is in driftwood. its not harmful to fish. most fish like, it!! anyways when driftwood isnt soaked or prepped properly it can make a tan or tea color to your tank water. which is called tannis. usually soaking the wood for a week or 2 will get most of it out. boiling it can make it go faster.

Ooooh my!! Thats why my 20gal rimless had that ugly color the firts month and until i began to change the water weekly!!! Thank you for that explanation!! We here talk in spanish and so many things get lost in translation and sometimes several words i dont know what they meant!!

lol I did the same except I took it back>.<..

check my levels still no budge..we'll see tomorrow. hopefully things move pretty fast. put my wood in the dishwasher then put it in my tank to aquascape and I love the way its set up. took it out so meow its soaking in a tub :D

dang it I should of takin a pic of it....Dx

okay today I check to see how much the wood leached. and nothing came out ? im confused as to why. any ideas

There are two types of driftwood. Also, tannin is not always a bad thing if you have hard water the tannin will actually lower the PH. Moss balls work too, unless you have otos like me who sleep in them...lol. I just set up a 40gal planted aquarium. Cycles w/ fluval hob C4. Added 6 new harlequin Rasbora & two otos. Well see how they fair. Readings were great but first night with new fish in new tank I don't know if I can sleep...lol. Good luck with your new tank. I would love to know what's type if fish you are going to add!!!

Sorry, forgot to tell you the branch type driftwood which has not been soaked will float in water....soaking, washing in dishwasher, boiling all help. This type of driftwood is different from the softer red driftwood as it takes so much longer to prep for tank. Personally, I just boil the softer one if i don't need the PH leveled otherwise I just put in water, never had a prob. once i added the driftwood into the tank. Yet I did cycle it two weeks.

I cant spell it but its this kind. I know about tannis..lol we talk about it a few posts back..

ForumRunner_20120420_220255.jpg

ForumRunner_20120420_220315.jpg

Jennie L said:
Sorry, forgot to tell you the branch type driftwood which has not been soaked will float in water....soaking, washing in dishwasher, boiling all help. This type of driftwood is different from the softer red driftwood as it takes so much longer to prep for tank. Personally, I just boil the softer one if i don't need the PH leveled otherwise I just put in water, never had a prob. once i added the driftwood into the tank. Yet I did cycle it two weeks.

anyways thanks though!:)

boiling my DW:) added some crushed coral in a baggy. to help stapize ph.
my
ammo 1.0
nitrites 0.25
ph 7.8

Otos are catfish...dwarf catfish. I don't know how to spell.the full scientific name...they are great lil algee busters for community freshwater tanks! Gun to watch...when you can fi.d them, they love to hide in the bright light, like all catfish mostly nocturnal or just doing thete job. They get 2" when full grown.

okay so back to my thread... I put my driftwood in and heres what it looks like..

ForumRunner_20120421_183214.jpg

ForumRunner_20120421_183404.jpg

Back
Top Bottom