Getting REALLY discouraged!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
FEEL LIKE THROWING IN THE TOWEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gonna keep posting here hopefully this thread won't die. But I'm ALMOST DONE WITH THIS FISH HOBBY!!!

I do EVERYTHING I'M SUPPOSE TO!! Was just setting up for my water change and!!!

View attachment 66044

View attachment 66045

:(

I don't think I'm cut out for this!!!! UGH!!! :(

I know I'm sounding like a broken record but what is the deal? They all look fine and eat and are active. Is it just nature? Pecking order? Strong survive? HELP ME PLEASE!! I'm about to break it down and bring all the fish to my buddy John and throw in the towel!!! What else can I do?!?!

:( :( :( :(

This is depressing!!!! :( I'm really upset here!! I feel stupid and ashamed to call myself a fish hobbyist!! I'm truly NOT!!!!!!

Last edited:
Convict2161 said:
FEEL LIKE THROWING IN THE TOWEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gonna keep posting here hopefully this thread won't die. But I'm ALMOST DONE WITH THIS FISH HOBBY!!!

I do EVERYTHING I'M SUPPOSE TO!! Was just setting up for my water change and!!!

:(

I don't think I'm cut out for this!!!! UGH!!! :(

I know I'm sounding like a broken record but what is the deal? They all look fine and eat and are active. Is it just nature? Pecking order? Strong survive? HELP ME PLEASE!! I'm about to break it down and bring all the fish to my buddy John and throw in the towel!!! What else can I do?!?!

:( :( :( :(

This is depressing!!!! :( I'm really upset here!! I feel stupid and ashamed to call myself a fish hobbyist!! I'm truly NOT!!!!!!

Dangg what happened???? :((

I don't know. Was just floating in the current!!! :(

Water conditions are perfect!! Just gonna do a 25% wc.

That's like 5 fish and a eel in short of 2 weeks.

Last edited:
I would rule out fish getting stuck on your filter.Healthy Africans DON'T just get stuck to your filter and die.Your fish are not that small and generally look in good condition.

garfy said:
What we need to do is get an exact stocking list for your tank (I know it's not easy) and then see which fish are compatible and which are not.

+1
I'm sorry to hear you lost another. :( you have had a lot going on in there remember. Tank changes, new fish, stress from moving/being caught. Don't blame yourself.

Hi hang in there buddy(y) we all have our problems from time to time, i know i could certainly list a few:oops::nono: but we shall get you through this:).
first off - a full fish list as requested by Garfy.
Also maybe - review of your filter system and size of your tank? Did you get the FX5?
Also your water tests results - also are they stable?
Also what do you feed?
Also how often on the pwc?
Also any observations you may have that may help:cool:
Off topic but may make you feel happier? My five footer isn't working at the moment - the geophagus Jurapi are fighting like mad,the B/Ns are not growing and the tank is FULL of snails and i mean FULL:eek: although i have not lost any fish the tank,it is simply not working,also the the oxygen level in the tank is very low:nono: {the fish seem to be gasping for breath if the air stone is not on full}

Mumma.of.two said:
+1
I'm sorry to hear you lost another. :( you have had a lot going on in there remember. Tank changes, new fish, stress from moving/being caught. Don't blame yourself.

Mumma's right.What your tank needs is stability and the right group of cichlids.with the fx-5 on your tank your in top shape.Its an awesome filter (Next on my shopping list :D) You should only need 1 pwc per week barring fish death.
As a newbie I would stick to 1 type of fish I.E mbuna,haps or peacocks.From the looks of it you have all three.I get away with mixing mbuna and haps because I chose tough haps and I have a pretty big tank at 143g
If we can identify all your fish we can go from there.

I'm trying no to buy this is tough. I keep reading do less and it will do more? True? I mean it's cycled so I'll I do is wc dose Prime and add flourish for my Anubias. Other then that everything is the same. Feed eery other day so on and so on.

Anyway.... Mumma! Here ya go!! Full tank shot! :) lemme know what ya think! ;)

View attachment 66060

Last edited:
Convict2161 said:
I'm trying no to buy this is tough. I keep reading do less and it will do more? True? I mean it's cycled so I'll I do is wc dose Prime and add flourish for my Anubias. Other then that everything is the same. Feed eery other day so on and so on.

Anyway.... Mumma! Here ya go!! Full tank shot! :) lemme know what ya think! ;)
Beautiful! (y)

Thanks everyone!!! There are 3 fake plants the rest a real. All real DW from the LFS soaked, boiled etc... All rocks are also from the LFS cleaned soaked etc... Substrate is Cichlid sand as a base then natural gravel. Cichlid stones are ceramic.

The place I got all decor from is a small fish store and a good friend. He has accounts all over Westchester for SW and FW so I trust him. Running fx5 and AC 110. Also have 2 air stones. One wand in the center an one in tight corner. Plastic would be the logs (2). Plants are silk.

I've had decor through 4 different tanks and never had an issue with anything until now. Stock? Were trying to figure that out between me and the members here through pics. I fell victim to the "mixed African tank"

I do know there are blue cobalts,red zebras, yellow labs, albino zebras, 2 Synodontis, 1 upside down catfish, and 1 african feather fin. I'm in the process with some members in identifying the rest. Trying to take more pictures.

Hope I helped answer some of his questions.

Lights are all on timers. So tomorrow when they come on I'm gonna take some good shots of the fish.

EDIT: also have 1 red tailed shark and 6 Giant danios I used as dither fish again not observing any issues. Also with the help of the members I removed the known bully's from the tank. 2 bumble bees and 2 auratus they were killing and tormenting everyone. Since then everyone seems happy. The tank is like night and day. There all out and swimming. This is the first death since the removal of those fish. I rearranged the tank.

And yes I feed them NLS pellets every other day.

Last edited:
Your tank looks beautiful! Before you give up the hobby(hope you don't), maybe try different kind of fish? Cichlids are beautiful, but peaceful fish are fun to have too. Hope it all works out. :)

Hholly said:
Your tank looks beautiful! Before you give up the hobby(hope you don't), maybe try different kind of fish? Cichlids are beautiful, but peaceful fish are fun to have too. Hope it all works out. :)

Thanks Holly!! I'm hoping to keep the Africans. I'm gonna give it my all and figure out what's going on. Maybe LFS stock? I dunno. The ones I got from my friends place are all fine. It's the ones that came from chain stores that have passed.

Back
Top Bottom