Ghost shrimp attacking fish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abrage22

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I come home from work tonight, and find my ghost shrimp feasting on a cardinal tetra of mine!! It was really disgusting to say the least. Do you think the shrimp killed it, or is it more likely the tetra died on its own? All my paremeters are good, except for a high pH in the 8's that I have to work on fixing... I don't know if this might mean anything, but I also did notice a little bit of foam forming on the top edges of the tank that i never saw before.

abrage22 said:
So I come home from work tonight, and find my ghost shrimp feasting on a cardinal tetra of mine!! It was really disgusting to say the least. Do you think the shrimp killed it, or is it more likely the tetra died on its own? All my paremeters are good, except for a high pH in the 8's that I have to work on fixing... I don't know if this might mean anything, but I also did notice a little bit of foam forming on the top edges of the tank that i never saw before.

I think that the tetra died for something else, not due to the shrimp.
How long have your tank been running?

Ejara is right--that shrimp didn't kill your fish. But snails and other inverts will not resist a dead or near-dead fish snack.

Yeah thats kinda what I thought. The tanks been running for a little less than 2 months now. I am now noticing one of the other tetra is acting a little different than usual, he's hangin around the top and is acting like he's eating food on the top of the water and not moving as much as usual. Boy, this fish business is more stressful than I thought it'd be:banghead:. I don't even like to see an ant die, so you can imagine how i feel about seeing a fish of mine die:eek:

Yeah, I'm sensitive about my fish, too. Is your tank properly cycled?

The reason I ask is, is almost sounds like your fish is suffering from oxygen deprivation.

Shouldn't the water agitation from the filter be enough? The tetras never went up to the top of the tank before, so I would think theres enough oxygen...

Usually that is enough... it's hard to tell though if there aren't any other visible signs of illness.

It was from Petsmart, I know they aren't usually the best, but still, it was doing so good:(

Back
Top Bottom