Ghost Shrimp Breeding/baby survival

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kherm89

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there,

I have a 29G planted tank with 1 Amano shrimp, 3 dwarf frogs, 5 female betta, 2 otos, 5 harlequin rasbora. I do a 20% water change every few weeks and filter. I think it is pretty decently planted (all real) and I have floating and overgrown tall plants. My tank is 79F and it's been running for a year. I put a stocking over the filter too to protect the babies if they drop.

My female ghost shrimp I got just over a month ago. She came with eggs, or babies (?) underneath, but never saw anything come of it and I'm not sure when she dropped them. Now she has has new eggs for a few weeks. I can see little black spots so I know they are getting close to dropping.

My main questions are about their survival rate in my current tank. What are the chances the babies survive if I leave her in there? I don't want to take her out particularly because I don't have a second tank and I don't want to stress her so she drops them too early. I don't know if there are enough plants for them to hide in and easily survive or if they will probably all get eaten.

Here are some pics for you to gauge your opinion.
(Excuse the dirtiness, I've had the filter on low and covered in case they come)

Attachments

• IMG_4841.jpg
    IMG_4841.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_4842.jpg
    IMG_4842.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_6134.jpg
    IMG_6134.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 95
Ghost shrimp young float in the water column when first hatched, so if there are fish in the tank, the young will not make it long enough to hide.

your tank looks good. you have enough plants for those shrimp. the strong will survive. good luck

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom