Glo tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KeeshyRee

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can I keep these in a 10 gallon and if so how many? Or these and some glo danios? I keep my water changes up and my waters good!

Sent from my SCH-R760X using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You can, how many depends on what filter you're using. Usual guide is 1" of fish per gallon though

Sweet thanks

I have had both glo danios and glo tetras. They are actually just genetically changed zebra danios and white skirt tetras. In my experience (in a 20 gallon) the two didn't mix well. The danios kept nipping the tetras. In a 10 gallon, I would suggest getting 5 of the tetras and some type of smaller algae cleaners (snail, octo's, Chinese alge a eater, ect). This way you'll have a happier aquarium. IMO, the glo tetras are easier seen in the tank from a distance.

I would only get one type and get a school of them. And don't get a Chinese algae eater- a ten gallon is too small for them.

Ok Im wanting to make it a simulated reef tank! Are there any crabs or crayfish that would work in a 10 with the tetras?

When you say glo danios and glow tetra, what colour were they?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

These guys they come in orange pink green and one or 2 other colors. And by simulated I mean fw tank made to look like a reef but completely fw

Attachments

• 1389571742082.jpg
    1389571742082.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 1389571774433.jpg
    1389571774433.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 80
Well i dont support GM fish and thats what i was affraid of tut tut. I was hoping you were going to say glowlight tetra, a natural species. Well good luck with that keesh.

Last edited:
+1 on bamboo shrimp. They *shouldnt* negatively impact the stock of your tank. I liked mine, but I couldn't handle their molts (I'm squeamish like that) and eventually re homed them.

I'm afraid a crayfish would try to use some of your stock as a fresh meal, but since I haven't kept crayfish for a while, I'm sure other members on here would have better insight on that :)

As soon as crayfish find out they're the boss, they will try and kill every fish in your tank... At least in my experience.. Maybe they can work out with big fish.. Never tried..

That's what I was wondering thank you.

Well i dont support GM fish and thats what i was affraid of tut tut. I was hoping you were going to say glowlight tetra, a natural species. Well good luck with that keesh.

I agree completely. I know you want colorful fish, and I'm not going to get to hooty tooty on you but you really should do some research on them. We should all try to support responsible/respectful fish breeding.

I've done research on them. While I'm not a big fan of tattooed fish these guys started as cancer research so they have/had a purpose. Now I know all the ones they sell aren't being used for that I'm also not completely against them. I've had 2 of each in my 55 for almost 3 years now and I love them. Thank you for the advice though.

*Edit* As this is a stocking question, and not a question pertaining to the ethics/ramifications of genetically modified fish, let's please stick to the topic of the stocking question. Thanks!

White skirt/black skirt/Glo tetras (these are all the same species) really do not belong in a 10 gallon IMO. These are very active fish that appreciate a lot of swimming space, which a 10 gallon tank does not afford them. The Glofish danios would be a slightly better choice, although due to their activity level I would also not recommend that they be housed in a 10 gallon in the long term. Bamboo shrimp are obligate filter feeders and will probably starve to death in a 10 gallon, especially if it is a new-ish tank.

My above post is a great example of why the inch per gallon "guideline" is utter nonsense and does more to steer folks in the wrong direction than to help them. ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom