Glofish news

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bettaowner

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was looking at some fish today( not buying) when I found a tank marked glofish with a solid pink white skirt tetra. I knew for sure it wasn't dyed so I was shocked. After going to the glofish website I found out that there is now a sunburst orange and starburst red color form of the glowing skirt tetra. What do you guys think about this? I feel it's starting to get out of control.

yeah at one of my local fish stores, a world of fish, i saw a green skirt tetra but it had long fins it was pretty crazy i hadnt seen one like that before if only it werent swimming sideways i wouldve gotten it, and that place overcharges on the glofish for some reason they are all 14.99 there! its ridiculous they are 6.99 for the glo danios at petsmart and 8.99 for the skirt tetras

yeah at one of my local fish stores, a world of fish, i saw a green skirt tetra but it had long fins it was pretty crazy i hadnt seen one like that before if only it werent swimming sideways i wouldve gotten it, and that place overcharges on the glofish for some reason they are all 14.99 there! its ridiculous they are 6.99 for the glo danios at petsmart and 8.99 for the skirt tetras

They are 6.45 in here.. I have 6 electric green tetras.. ( I ain't buying anymore after the ones I got) hehe.. I feel sorry for these fishy.... :(

:( poor fish... :(

Why some people think they can change nature like that.!!! That's not good.. :(
If animals could talk and defend themselves I think we would be the weak ones... :( I wouldn't like to get my skin blue or pink just because those colors are pretty..!! What a shame, what some people do to animals.!!

:( poor fish... :(

Why some people think they can change nature like that.!!! That's not good.. :(
If animals could talk and defend themselves I think we would be the weak ones... :( I wouldn't like to get my skin blue or pink just because those colors are pretty..!! What a shame, what some people do to animals.!!

How is the gean splicing any different then the selective breeding that created gold neon tetras or albino anything, while the fish would never develop neon in the wild due to being easy pray in a controlled environment with nothing wanting to eat them the fish are fine

/ and by the way I do have lots of purple skin in my tattoo

Well because you wanted to put a tattoo on your skin... They can not talk.. Remember?? You can't force people to do what you wanna do on them because in this world people's opinion is valid, and because we talk.. but some people can force animals to do what they want.. Why? Because animals don't talk, don't think like humans, and can't defend themselves.. Just because they can't talk doesn't mean they like what some people do to them...!! And people can't change nature like that thats not how things work.. In my opinion..

Well because you wanted to put a tattoo on your skin... They can not talk.. Remember?? You can't force people to do what you wanna do on them because in this world people's opinion is valid, and because we talk.. but some people can force animals to do what they want.. Why? Because animals don't talk, don't think like humans, and can't defend themselves.. Just because they can't talk doesn't mean they like what some people do to them...!! And people can't change nature like that thats not how things work.. In my opinion..

Exactly. Well said!

I don't like the looks of glofish myself but I do think the gene splicing is a much better way to go about making neon colored fish than the old methods of dying and tattooing them. At least this way the fish are born that way and not subjected to cruel practices that endanger their health. The thing is, people want the neon colored fish so one way or another unscrupulous sellers will find a way to meet that need. At least this way is cruelty free. And maybe, just maybe, this will drive the fish tattooing and dying business out.

While I don't think glofish are right at all, it really is no different than selective breeding. Humans have bred breed after breed of dogs and cats. Is that natural? Not at all. We can at least rest assured that glofish are not experiencing any discomfort from their genes being altered, as far we we know. What really gets me are the tattooed fish, and from my understanding, is a painful process for the fish.

Oops, didn't see your post when I posted mine, Alyxx. Guess our minds were in the same place lol.

okapizebra said:
Oops, didn't see your post when I posted mine, Alyxx. Guess our minds were in the same place lol.

Great minds think alike, eh?

But yeah, there's no way I would keep neon glowing fish in my tanks but for those that like the look I am happy there is a kinder alternative to the dyed fish I saw everywhere as a kid.

I'm sure if the fish could talk, they would say "let me go!"

=p

The fish don't know any different. They are that color when they are born. I don't see why people get so mad about this.

The fish don't know any different. They are that color when they are born. I don't see why people get so mad about this.

My wife wants a glofish tank and I said no because I thought they were dyed or tattoed. So its there genes that are messed with to make them like that? Now she just might get the glofish tank she has been wanting.

MMantelli said:
My wife wants a glofish tank and I said no because I thought they were dyed or tattoed. So its there genes that are messed with to make them like that? Now she just might get the glofish tank she has been wanting.

Scientists spliced a gene from jellyfish that makes them glow into the zebra danio egg, and now into all these other fish. It started off as an attempt to make a fish that would glow in bad water conditions to help scientists monitor conditions in streams but that didn't pan out so the company started selling them as pets. And since they are copyrighted, only that company can distribute them so they are turning a big profit on them. The fish breed true with the bright colors so it's not even like the fish you got had it's genes modified when it was an egg. All the modifications happened generations ago. So it is nice and cruelty free, just a little unnatural.

Scientists spliced a gene from jellyfish that makes them glow into the zebra danio egg, and now into all these other fish. It started off as an attempt to make a fish that would glow in bad water conditions to help scientists monitor conditions in streams but that didn't pan out so the company started selling them as pets. And since they are copyrighted, only that company can distribute them so they are turning a big profit on them. The fish breed true with the bright colors so it's not even like the fish you got had it's genes modified when it was an egg. All the modifications happened generations ago. So it is nice and cruelty free, just a little unnatural.

Oh wow that's cool do they actually glow? Or does the blue light just act as a backlight?

MMantelli said:
Oh wow that's cool do they actually glow? Or does the blue light just act as a backlight?

They glow under the blue light, which has a backlight effect.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom