Godzilla Shrimp (PICS ADDED)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gill said:
There's a possibility that he crawled out. A couple sites I read stated that bamboos can occasionally jump ship.

Check around your tank for some floor jerkey! :p

That's probably not the case though.

Very true words. I originally had 3 bamboo shrimp (bought at Petsmart labeled as marble shrimp) but one decided to search for water somewhere else besides in my tank. He was missing for several weeks and I was starting to get worried. I then looked behind my canister filter, he had crawled out of the tank following the airline hose from my airstone. He was a stiff piece of shrimp jerky when I found him. I wish he wouldn't have committed suicide, they were expensive at Petsmart ($12). More than I wanted to spend, but it's the only place I can find one without ordering off of the internet.

Don't be too worried if they disappear for a couple of days though, sometimes mine do that too. Once you find a molting, you probably won't see your shrimp for several days.

When I bought the shrimp, they were a brown/tan color in Petsmart's tank. After a day or so, they turned red. One is more red than the other. The smaller one almost has a purplish undertone to its color.

Here's a pic of my larger bamboo (2 1/2" to 3"):

img_664090_0_3aee083dfa6c757db774c160f76c4c80.jpg

Ouch. $12... I thought what am I doing at 5.99, and that was better than at the lfs at $10.
The first night I got my 2nd 2 bamboo shrimp for another tank (before I found my 3), one of them got out somehow. I found her on the floor in front of the tank while I was walking in with a fresh bucket of water. I tossed her back in the tank and she sat on the airline hose just at water level for 30 minutes. Then sat behind the filter intake for the rest of the night. I have not seen her since. I saw one just tonight, imagining it was the other one I bought.. Still can't find 2 in this tank, but no shrimp jerky on the floor, at least not that I can see as I twist to see behind the entertainment center. Hopefully she is still in there and decided it was a nice enough place to live. Lots of current and food.... I'm still hoping.

Back
Top Bottom