Going on vacation(mudskipper)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Homer8

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Have a mudskipper and this friday i am going home for a week and i cant take him with me what should i do? i may buy one of those 2.5 gal plastic things from petco to take him home with me does anyone think that will be ok. I live 3 hours away and i was thinking id take some filter media out put it filter sleeve and place thatright into the 2.5 gal container.

No im at school and im going home for break along with 40000 other students

This is one of the reasons I'm not big on dorm room fish..... hope you figure something out. If you can get advice from someone like severum mama, who ships fish, perhaps you can properly bag and box him and bring him safely home with you.

LyndaB said:
This is one of the reasons I'm not big on dorm room fish..... hope you figure something out. If you can get advice from someone like severum mama, who ships fish, perhaps you can properly bag and box him and bring him safely home with you.

I agree with Lynda pm Severum Mama, I just don't think that little plastic container would be big enough for him IMO! My 10 yr old daughter uses that exact container for little bugs she gets from time to time, I would use one of those styrofoam insulated coolers maybe?? I have one! too bad I don't live closer to you I would let you have it!! :)

In past years it was fine because i had auto
Automatic fish feeders but now that i have the mudskipper i cant really do that. I got him in jan of last year but havent had to leave him for more then a few days

i found a solution. i made my own vacation cricket feeder and i have tested it several times and it dispenses about 1-2 and on occasion 3 crickets at a time. i used a glad container and a vaction timed fish feeder. i taped the glad container to the feeder and on the inside cut a hole in the glad container and there is a piece of plastic that rotated to open the hole and lets the crickets out.

Attachments

• IMG_0428.jpg
    IMG_0428.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0429.jpg
    IMG_0429.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0430.jpg
    IMG_0430.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0431.jpg
    IMG_0431.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 70
Homer8 said:
i found a solution. i made my own vacation cricket feeder and i have tested it several times and it dispenses about 1-2 and on occasion 3 crickets at a time. i used a glad container and a vaction timed fish feeder. i taped the glad container to the feeder and on the inside cut a hole in the glad container and there is a piece of plastic that rotated to open the hole and lets the crickets out.

WOW!! I'm impressed! Great idea, very Innovative! :)

i can only hope the crickets can live for a week without food or water but i have on accident done that and most of them are able to do so. im leaving friday so there will be 7 days he will be without food and if this only works 3-4 days that would be perfect. i plan on making a better cricket vacation feeder but for the mean time this will have to do.

Awesome!:) Great smart idea!:)
nice............i was going to suggest just purchasing a 10G tank for $10 at petco and taking your filter w/ you..........but that prob. is better as less stress
may i ask, where did you get the mudskipper? how much? just wondering

i got two of them from a lfs that went out of business last year. the owner ordered them for me. one of my mudskippers committed suicide and i found him dried up on the floor but i have since fixed the quarter size hole he got out of. i paid $10 a piece and i the species is Periophthalmus variabilis. ive never seen them for sale in stores or online. if something happened to this guy i dont know what i would do. i still miss Gilligan but Skipper doesnt even notice he is gone.

Back
Top Bottom