Going to college

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
okay so i think im going to be getting some type of nanofish, but i am wondering if a small school of endlers would be to large for the tank?

Well terms of plants I was planning on one decent sized anubias, 2 moneywort, some java moss, and a smallish piece of driftwood I still have no idea on the fish/invertebrates

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I also plan for my girlfriend to bring up the plants from a local petstore, whats the best way to keep them alive during the drive? Or how long can plants stay in the bag from the store? it would be about 11 hours hopefully.

Plants just need to be in an airtight and moist container to survive. They'll be fine for days that way :)

I forgot a bag full of plants in the bag from the fish store for 36 hours and they did just fine. No fish thank goodness. We got them all in to the QT but forgot to plant the plants.

Sent from my iPhone

would they be fine right in the bag from the store then?

Depends on how the store packages them, but in theory they should be fine. Just have her warn the store before buying them that they'll be traveling a ways and the store should be willing to package them a little more carefully if needed. Best way to transport them would be in a tupperware container. That way it's airtight and protected from getting squished in the car.

okay well thats good for the plants then. but im not saying im going to buy a betta but lets just say i do buy a betta or something like that. would a betta be able to travel the 11 hours in one of those stupid little cups they keep them in?

Yes, the betta should be fine. Any other fish might have issues with oxygenation if left in the bag for that long, but betta's gulp supplemental air from above the water surface. They sit in the cups for weeks at the petstore, so 11 hours in a car shouldn't be a problem.

I have a really good local fish store by my house, they have had everything i could ever want there, and i am not a fan of buying online, i did it once but i really dont want to do it again. How could i move the fish from the store to college? i know they wont be okay in the bag from the store but how do breeders ship them?

Breeders usually ship them in Kordon breather bags, which allow oxygen transfer through the bag's membrane. If you want to drive the fish up with you, you can keep them in the store bag and add a battery powered bubbler to help aerate the water for the trip.

Would cherry shrimp be the same thing, because right now I think I'm leaning towards a betta and rcs

I don't have any experience with transporting shrimp, so I can't say... I'm tempted to say that they take less oxygen, but that's gut feel only. If your LFS is as good as you say they should be able to tell you whether 11 hrs in the bag is too long or not.

Well I am going to be getting the tank and anubias tomorrow, I'll keep everyone posted on the setup and cycling, thank you all for the help :)

There are some very reliable sellers here in the classified section for RCS. I would consider ordering from them online - they will actually talk to you and plan the 2 day shipping so you know pretty much right when it will be delivered.

We are thinking of adding some to our 20g once it finishes cycling since shrimp are super sensitive and if we do we plan to order through some ppl here

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've had cpd and dwarf emerald rasboras and pygmy cories as well as hasbrosus cories shipped in regular bags and they were fine. 11 hrs should be ok and those fish would fit in 5g. Not all of them but 1 or 2 kinds. Are you in school in WY by chance?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The filter and heater are all set up, i was a little busy with my girlfriend up here so i wasnt really 100% focused on setting up the aquarium. But i am in class right now and i will take some pictures once it is actually set up. My plants changed haha i got a anubias nana, a white ribbon, and java fern. I cant believe im so excited about a 5 gallon tank.

Here it is, I'm looking to maybe got a small piece of driftwood, and some micro sword or java moss. I want this tank to be look natural and fairly heavily planted. I need to get a new light first before I add anything else

Attachments

• 1409953086340.jpg
    1409953086340.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 74
Looks good so far!

Any idea on fish yet or still not sure?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oh, here's a good question! What's the water quality like where you are? The hardness and pH of the tap water there might narrow down your choices for stocking a bit :) Better to go with something you won't have to fuss with the water for.

Back
Top Bottom