Going to college

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, here's a good question! What's the water quality like where you are? The hardness and pH of the tap water there might narrow down your choices for stocking a bit :) Better to go with something you won't have to fuss with the water for.

Well I actually use nestle bottled water, because I find that it's better, I put in api leaf zone. Here is nestle water specs because I don't have my test kit here, that will come next week end lol1409962025932.jpg and here's the tank now that the sand settled and everything is nice and clear :) 1409962089557.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Looks good so far!

Any idea on fish yet or still not sure?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have no idea yet on the fish yet honestly, but im starting to feel like i want to breed something so im leaning more towards rcs. but is there anything else i could possibly breed in such a small tank?

Hmmm the only thing I can think of is the shrimp. Hahaha if you do the RCS in like a month or so we will probably be looking to buy some if you're thinking of selling!

We were talking of adding some to our guppy tank. (Black sand in that too)

Betta fish, CFL light with a lamp from walmart and some simple plants. Woo! Have fun in college, although I still live at home and go to university i have to tell you its the best thing ever!

Betta fish, CFL light with a lamp from walmart and some simple plants. Woo! Have fun in college, although I still live at home and go to university i have to tell you its the best thing ever!

hahahaha i wish there was a walmart, the closest store like that is a dollar general about 45 minutes away and then a walmart an hour and a half away. this place is the definition of the middle of nowhere

Hmmm the only thing I can think of is the shrimp. Hahaha if you do the RCS in like a month or so we will probably be looking to buy some if you're thinking of selling!

We were talking of adding some to our guppy tank. (Black sand in that too)

how would rcs do with maybe a small group of pygmy corries in the tank?

Hmmm. Not sure. I only have big bamboo shrimp and they act totally different

Enjoy college! I miss it! It flew by

This post was quite nostalgic for me. I had a betta in college. Later in college, a 30 gallon with plants and angelfish. :) I love bettas though. The one I had in college would get excited when I would approach the tank. I always thought it was cute.

I bet a lot of us did the betta thing in college! I cheated- I got a 20 gal and did fire belly toads. Since there was only like 5 gal water they were ok with it

No, pygmy cores really need at least a ten. Ember tears of CPDs with RCS would be ideal. By the way. the plant on the far left isn't fully aquatic and will rot and die if left submersed in the tank. :)

well darn i hate miss labeling plants :/ i guess ill take it out tomorrow morning. How many ember tetras could i keep in the tank?

hahahaha i wish there was a walmart, the closest store like that is a dollar general about 45 minutes away and then a walmart an hour and a half away. this place is the definition of the middle of nowhere

haha where you going if you dont mind me asking? I'm from Canada so doubt id know anyways

haha where you going if you dont mind me asking? I'm from Canada so doubt id know anyways

You might want to use PM for personal information if you want to share it.

What about some Aquaponics in the green house at school?

A Betta will eat the RCS if it feels like it.

Shrimp are awesome! They breed well most often. If you get the aforementioned Kordon Breather bags available from aquabid in different sizes and quantities. They work well. Plants can be mailed no problem, it is just the conditions when they arrive to the "mailbox", how long they have to wait on the truck to the mailbox with poor weather conditions.

You could start a business mailing out shrimp to people at some point.

I recommend a Marimo Moss Ball cause shrimp love picking at them and Java Moss plus DW.

A 5G is fine for shrimp, just watch out for your parameters. Shrimp can't have ammonia or poor water. So a fishless (shrimpless ) cycle would be best and then no fish if you want to breed them for quantity. Most fish will eat the little newborn shrimp, so if you are breeding them because it is awesome to see the process and don't care if some are eaten, then nano fish are cool. Celestial Pearl Danios aka CPD's but you would want about 6 because they are pretty skittish and hide if just a few.

About the Ribbon Plant, you can make something to hold it in the back with just the roots in the water and stem appx. .5-1" could be in the water too and it will be nice the roots will be useful in the water.

Have fun.

Last edited:
You might want to use PM for personal information if you want to share it.

What about some Aquaponics in the green house at school?

A Betta will eat the RCS if it feels like it.

Shrimp are awesome! They breed well most often. If you get the aforementioned Kordon Breather bags available from aquabid in different sizes and quantities. They work well. Plants can be mailed no problem, it is just the conditions when they arrive to the "mailbox", how long they have to wait on the truck to the mailbox with poor weather conditions.

You could start a business mailing out shrimp to people at some point.

I recommend a Marimo Moss Ball cause shrimp love picking at them and Java Moss plus DW.

A 5G is fine for shrimp, just watch out for your parameters. Shrimp can't have ammonia or poor water. So a fishless (shrimpless ) cycle would be best and then no fish if you want to breed them for quantity. Most fish will eat the little newborn shrimp, so if you are breeding them because it is awesome to see the process and don't care if some are eaten, then nano fish are cool. Celestial Pearl Danios aka CPD's but you would want about 6 because they are pretty skittish and hide if just a few.

About the Ribbon Plant, you can make something to hold it in the back with just the roots in the water and stem appx. .5-1" could be in the water too and it will be nice the roots will be useful in the water.

Have fun.

Thanks for that hello, would cpds eat baby shrimp or if it's heavily planted would some survive?

Thanks for that hello, would cpds eat baby shrimp or if it's heavily planted would some survive?

Yes some would survive, but I doubled my school of CPD (about 20, presently 3 adults and ~17 young ones /about 5 are going to a friend) in my Blue Velvet tank and I can see there are definitely less shrimp now. I don't think it is a big deal for adults or larger ones but I seriously don't see very many babies.

I feed plenty too. Since they are kinda young still I make sure to feed a little 2-3 times a day.

Here is a older pic, it is grown double that volume of plants, lol.

But the nano fish are small!
60074-albums13090-picture64838.jpg

Here are a couple CPD next to the Green Neon, the blue stripe.
60074-albums13090-picture64812.jpg

Yes some would survive, but I doubled my school of CPD (about 20, presently 3 adults and ~17 young ones /about 5 are going to a friend) in my Blue Velvet tank and I can see there are definitely less shrimp now. I don't think it is a big deal for adults or larger ones but I seriously don't see very many babies.

I feed plenty too. Since they are kinda young still I make sure to feed a little 2-3 times a day.

Here is a older pic, it is grown double that volume of plants, lol.

But the nano fish are small!
60074-albums13090-picture64838.jpg

Here are a couple CPD next to the Green Neon, the blue stripe.
60074-albums13090-picture64812.jpg

That's a great looking tank, i think I've actually decided I am going to go with a male Betta and some RCS. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to replace the white ribbon with, and possibly a background plant?

Anacharis is a taller fairly fast growing. It is technically a floating but will do ok tucked in gravel or tied to a rock

Corkscrew val are pretty low maintenance too

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410044679.170910.jpg

Anacharis is on the far right of the pic. The front middle is a sort of val. They are almost like big whispy grass.

Then far left back is also hornwort. Super fast grower. Technically a floater plant but I anchor it down so it doesn't get sucked up to the filter

I like moneywort a lot, but i cant find it for sale anywhere, i still plan to get some java moss and micro sword. i need to find a real nice piece of driftwood. and im looking for a real nice halfmoon betta. obviusly no rush on that because the tank is far from cycled.

Here's my new set up haha, how's the white ribbon in the filter?

Attachments

• 1410047433067.jpg
    1410047433067.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 62
Back
Top Bottom