Goldfish with fungus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miyavp

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My goldfish has a fungus, I would include photos but she's orangeish white colored and I can barely see the fungus with my own eyes so pictures would be pointless. I'm gonna try and take a video later though. I'll be testing my water right after I post this but I just did alot of stuff to my tank.

Its a 37gal tank with three ryukins an aquaclear 70 a submersible sunsun 40 and a large bubble bar on the bottom of the tank. I do a 10gal water change weekly. Today me my dad and my boyfriend moved the tank up onto a desk so I can vacume the gravel. Which I vacumed 1/4 of the gravel. I'll be soon adding 10gallons of fresh water to the tank.

I'd like to be able to treat this without medication but I do have some kanaplex on hand which I've used to treat a fungus before. She appears to be the only one sick with three small spots on her and a recent rip in her tail I just noticed today. I think it must've happened when I moved the fish and the filters into a large storage bin during the tank being moved.

It looks most like this. But none on the mouth just one on the tail and two on the body.

ForumRunner_20130105_192255.jpg

Sorry to hear about that. Had the same happen to a comet that was spending some time indoors (a raccoon ate the other 5-6 comets in a small ornamental pond). Onset was very quick: Clamped fins, white patches, lethargy and despite some water changes it died within a few days. May have been the stress of poor water quality or tank volume that brought down its immune system.

Outcome may have been different if I treated immediately.

Sorry to hear about that. Had the same happen to a comet that was spending some time indoors (a raccoon ate the other 5-6 comets in a small ornamental pond). Onset was very quick: Clamped fins, white patches, lethargy and despite some water changes it died within a few days. May have been the stress of poor water quality or tank volume that brought down its immune system.

Outcome may have been different if I treated immediately.

I'm treating her with kanaplex since to me it looks idenical to whatever was on my bettas side. And that went away with three full treatments of kanaplex. So I can hope. Not much improvement visable to far but it took a couple days on the betta.

I'm thinking this is either colmnaries or saprolegia(fungus) which as I've read are both gram negitive forms of bacteria.

Just realized my kanaplex is expired....i only bought it last year but it says 2011 on the bottom.... hopefully my dad will get me some more today. Probubly should'nt have been giving it to my goldfish...

It's better than nothing. If expired then it probably lost some of its effectiveness but should not be harmful.

It's better than nothing. If expired then it probably lost some of its effectiveness but should not be harmful.

I read on seachems website it turns into something toxic after its date. My dads picking me up some new stuff tommorow I dont think one day will hurt

I read on seachems website it turns into something toxic after its date. My dads picking me up some new stuff tommorow I dont think one day will hurt

My bad. Your diligence is paying off. Perhaps another PWCs is in order. Good luck with this.

Pretty good. I finally got meds a few days ago and its nearly gone. Using tetra fungus guard. But now a new problem has arisen. They seem to have lateral line disease. So I've gotta up their nutrition and water changes. Also test the water for any stray electric waves which can be a cause.

Back
Top Bottom