good deal on this 280/300 gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottayy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I can get my hands on a 1/2" acrylic 280 gal. She claims it's 300 gallons but the dimensions are 6' x 30" x 30" (280, or less with the 1/2" thick walls), but maybe her measuerments weren't precise.

She said a few minor scratches on the bottom from moving it around. Comes with tank long overflow box on the back (not sure how it drains yet).

Comes with protein skimmer (not sure what kind).

$800 obo

I know these things cost a lot brand new, but if I did get it I would do an in wall build.

Think it's a good deal or bad deal? I really have no idea.

24q0c5e.jpg

Not a bad price for a reef ready acrylic tank that size, but for just a tank and skimmer I'd offer $600 to start.

Yeah I think I'm going to pass it up. I mean, I would need to reinforce my floor and buy a whole bunch of new stuff and it would be a really big job/experience that I might not be qualified for yet.

If she doesn't sell it and I can get it for like $400, I would snatch it up in a heartbeat though.

Wow, I got it for $400. Going to look at it tomorrow.
It will be a while before I'd attempt to set this up. If I get it, I'm planning on cleaning it up and storing it for a while. What's the best way to store it? I figured wrap it up in plastic wrap?

Wow, I got it for $400. Going to look at it tomorrow.
It will be a while before I'd attempt to set this up. If I get it, I'm planning on cleaning it up and storing it for a while. What's the best way to store it? I figured wrap it up in plastic wrap?

Awesome.... Lucky bastard.

Yeah, I would clean it up, wrap it, and store it in a climate controlled environment (basement, if you have one). You don't want the sealant going through freeze/thaw cyles out in the garage.... it will get brittle & seperate from the acrylic over time (may also do this if you leave it dry for too long).

OK, well I had never seen one this big before.
I just picked it up.

Absolutely massive. Like, breathtakingly massive.

... I'm in love.

Thanks.

I don't know the point of the overflow box as of yet. There's no holes drilled in it. So it looks like I would need to still have an HOB overflow box =/

How hard is it to drill acrylic? Easier than glass? I didn't have any luck with glass.

Luckily I'll have a long time to figure it out. Seriously going to resist the temptation and store this one until I am ready.

It can be done. lol I have an empty 90g setup waiting to go up that has been in my garage for like 3 months. Scott will take this one slow, I just know it will be a good build when he starts.

Wellll to be honest I would be already started on this build but our floor will need reinforced. The only space I could put it is over a crawlspace. I'm not going to be cramped and dirty reinforcing that part of the floor, lol. I will hire someone to get that job done ;)

So, that obstacle (though not really a big one) encourages me to take the build slow. I'll get supplies and stuff before I put it up instead of as I go along.

Sucks though because there's this huge tank breakdown on CL not too far from me.

No pictures yet. Didn't have enough manpower last night to bring it inside.

scottayy said:
Sucks though because there's this huge tank breakdown on CL not too far from me.

Get the equipment from that tank, and whatever rock they have. Now would also be a great time to start building your stand while the floor is being reinforced.

Would love to get the rock, but I don't have anywhere to put it.
Scouring through the equipment though.

Im trying to decide if I want to drill this or use what i'm familiar with, a hang on back overflow.

If I drill it, I'll have to make a lot of decisions, how big of hole, how many holes, gph flow, etc.

HOB overflow boxes take the thought out of that for me, but aren't as "professional". The back of this tank will never be seen though.

Then I have to figure out if a spare 55 is enough for the sump or if i'll want to look around for a bare 125 or similar.

Scott.., if this were my tank I'd have it drilled.., its a big tank and you're going to need a big sump and alot of flow ..., besides., as you said ., it's more professional too.... Now about those pictures........

Pics will be soon, I promise. :D

For now, I just now got it inside. Took a while for me to get 3 other guys available at the same time to move this thing inside.

Wouldn't you know it I got a darn scratch on the BOTTOM of this thing. I don't think it's deep but I'm not comfortable with it.

Before I ever set it up I'm going to get a half inch thick piece of acrylic and silicone it to the bottom where that scratch is. I just don't want any potential issues down the road.

It's just like me to scratch it. If you need to count on someone messing something up in any way possible just put your bets on me. :-L

Yup, i'd agree to drill it as well. Acrylic is super easy to drill through. Just need a bit for it. Much much easier to drill through than glass. GL!

Back
Top Bottom