Good salt water starter fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Va-lerry

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys I have a 10 gallon and would like to add some fish to it. It's been running for about a month now and I already have a yellow belly damsel in it. I read that goby's are a hardy good fish but I'm not sure if my tank is large enough.
If someone could help me out that would be great. Thx

I like ocellious clown fish cuz they dont get big. Also maybe a type of goby and cleaner shrimp? Idk im no salt water expert

Nu-Nu the eel said:
I like ocellious clown fish cuz they dont get big. Also maybe a type of goby and cleaner shrimp? Idk im no salt water expert

Alrighty. Yeah I gotta get some shrimp too.

I here is a good start for you to start to research Nano Fish
Some of the fish you need to see if they are easy. You could also do a invertebrate tank with things like pom pom crab, sexy shrimp, and maybe some type of anemone in a year for the sexys. Maybe a mini anemone they don't get as large as some mushrooms.

Damsels and clowns need a larger tank than 10 gallons. Joy posted a good link to give you an idea of some fish. I use that site to do some research on future purchases.

joy13 said:
Some of the fish you need to see if they are easy. You could also do a invertebrate tank with things like pom pom crab, sexy shrimp, and maybe some type of anemone in a year for the sexys. Maybe a mini anemone they don't get as large as some mushrooms.

Ok I'll take a look. Thank you. I didnt really have a lot of knowledge when I got the damsel. Still don't know a lot. Thanks for the link.

joy13 said:

I do not have the proper lighting to house any anemone at the moment, but I will be at the lfs to look around for something. Thank you for the link.
Oh what do I do with the damsel? It seems to be doing fine. Swims around, no problem what so ever. I clearly did not research well enough. :(

I do not have the proper lighting to house anemones, but I will most likely be at the lfs to look around for some.
Thanks for the link and help.
What do I do about the damsel?
It seems to be doing fine. I clearly did not do my home work about that one. Pooop. :(

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Ya i suggested ocellerious clown and that was on the website. I like clowns

True, but if you click on the clown it says 30gallons or more. I like clowns as much as the next guy that's why I wouldn't put one in a 10gallon. That site is by no means the holy grail of aquatic information. I use it as a general guideline before I dig deeper into something. As far as the damsel, you could see if your LFS would take it back and give you store credit towards another fish?

BallinCrew10 said:
True, but if you click on the clown it says 30gallons or more. I like clowns as much as the next guy that's why I wouldn't put one in a 10gallon. That site is by no means the holy grail of aquatic information. I use it as a general guideline before I dig deeper into something. As far as the damsel, you could see if your LFS would take it back and give you store credit towards another fish?

Oh yeah. I totally forgot that I could do that.

Here I go again you can put a clown in a 10 gallon tank if you are willing watch it be unhappy and end up living a very short lifespan. There is a LFS that is proof that a clown can live years and years one of theirs passed away after over 20 years and their other one is even older. They should be able to have a long and happy life in a tank that will suit their needs.

When I said anemone you can get something like a mini anemone or maybe one maxi mini anemone in a 10 gallon tank. If you do get one of those remember they do eat fish so take that into consideration. My rock anemone would be to big for a 10 gallon tank and it is still growing.

joy13 said:
Here I go again you can put a clown in a 10 gallon tank if you are willing watch it be unhappy and end up living a very short lifespan. There is a LFS that is proof that a clown can live years and years one of theirs passed away after over 20 years and their other one is even older. They should be able to have a long and happy life in a tank that will suit their needs.

When I said anemone you can get something like a mini anemone or maybe one maxi mini anemone in a 10 gallon tank. If you do get one of those remember they do eat fish so take that into consideration. My rock anemone would be to big for a 10 gallon tank and it is still growing.

I think that I will bring the damsel back to the lfs and get a goby with some shrimp and some snails. I will also take a look at a light upgrade for later anemone

Back
Top Bottom