Got a black moor today and he has a white looking slime coat. help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmoney417

Aquarium Advice Newbie
so after almost all of my goldfish died i decided it was time to do things right. i cleaned the tank out very well. got new fake plants new everything even a black moor and a orange fantail. as soon as i saw the black moor i knew he would match the new tank setup perfectly.

its been about 6 hours since i added the orange fantail and the black moor to my tank with a 5 inch comet goldfish. the pH level is 7.0 and the ammonia is at 0.i set the tank up perfectly. added water conditioner, added a tablet that put the ph at 7.0 put pH and alkalinity stabilizer in it and let it sit for 24 hours before adding any fish. i also put stress coat in the water when i added the fish.

But now the black moor has developed a white coat. its not ich. and it looks like its in his slime coat. its on his sides, behind his gills and its very thick along his spine area and down his tail. he is swimming normally and was in perfect condition when i bought him. ive read alot of threads but haven't seen any clear cut answers. its a 10 gallon tank. i know its too small but its all i have room for right now.

i don't have a decent camera so im trying to get a picture with my phone. currently he is resting on the bottom with his face in an artificial plant.

can anyone give me some ideas of what this may be for now until i can get a decent picture. any help is greatly appreciated

ok here is the picture it was the best i could get.i dont have a hospital tank. he is still swimming into the bottom of the fake plant after i pushed him away from it to get the picture.] i have ich treatment. it also cures protozoan parasites. should i teat him with that or would that mess it up if it is a fungal infection?

get-attachment.aspx

ok i made a new post but its not showing up on my screen.
get-attachment.aspx

theres the picture not sure if its going to show up. he is still swimming into the plant. can i get some help? i dont wanna lose another fish

Sounds like he has an excess slime coat, which could be a few things. Slime coat is to protect the fish, and when there is too much that means something is going on, and the fish is producing extra, trying to protect himself.
Your tank will need to cycle (nitrogen cycle) before your fish will be okay. The ammonia might be 0 right now, but it won't be 2 days from now. It takes 4-6 weeks for a tank to cycle, and a water change of 25-50% will need to be done most likely every day during those weeks to keep your fish alive. You will need to test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate every day during the cycle, and if the ammonia or nitrite gets above .25, you need to change part of the water. The best tests with the most accurate results are liquid tests, paper strips are no good.
Don't use anything to adjust the pH, it causes more damage, with pH swings that shock your fish. 99% of fish will adjust to the pH you have naturally in the tap water.
As you know, you need a bigger tank, and need to get that ASAP, or take at least one of the goldies back until you can get another one.

Back
Top Bottom