gourami and GBR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trkchezz

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have one dwarf gourami(male) and all he seems to do is chase my pair of GBR around the tank, one then the other. He leaves the other fish alone. (Guppies and cory)I have had the gourami for about 2 months and added the GBR this last weekend. Water pram are 0,0,20.

Not sure what the problem is, might just need to re home.

Btw:20 gal long, lots of hiding places for everyone.

Did you try to remove the gourami and let the rams establish a territory

No that was going to be my next step...problem is I have and another tank, would a bucket for the day be ok?

For a day, the bucket should be ok with an airstone. Leave the gourami out with the decor rearranged for about 3 weeks

Well if you have alot of breaks in the line of vision you should be okay. If not, you could try to possibly add more fish, and you could try a more aggressive one to try and spread the aggression..could make it worse though. Hopefully they'll establish it by themselves eventually..do not remove the GBR/DG to gain their territory cuz then when you re add them it'll just start all over and they'll think they'll own the whole tank again.

GBRs and male gouramis can be aggressive at times..so it could just be the way they might be for awhile..it could take a couple days for the GBR to get settled since he is rather new to the tank.

Are the GBRs actually paired off? Cuz that would add to the aggression too.

This is my first time with the rams, I dont know if they are or are not. They look like one male and one female and they do "play" with each other a lot. but I dont know if thats because they are the only GBR's or if they are pairing.

I think they are only 3-6 months old, because of their lack of color

This is my first time with the rams, I dont know if they are or are not. They look like one male and one female and they do "play" with each other a lot. but I dont know if thats because they are the only GBR's or if they are pairing.

I think they are only 3-6 months old, because of their lack of color

Even at that old they should be good color..they lose color due to stress and stuff too. You know how to tell the difference in their sex? It's easy for GBRs..and all over the web on how to also.

I dont think it is because of stress, just the way it looks, looks right. Its hard to explain. Here are some pictures, Let me know what you think. I know they are blurry...

Attachments

• IMG_20130706_202621.jpg
    IMG_20130706_202621.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20130708_192640.jpg
    IMG_20130708_192640.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20130708_192657.jpg
    IMG_20130708_192657.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20130708_192536.jpg
    IMG_20130708_192536.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 51
Yeah..it could be due to there light (sand, decor, etc) surroundings..make sure the temp is around 80-82 for them..and that might be somewhat high for your other fish..but GBRs like it warm..that usually enhances there color, along with color enhancing food.

Both sexes will..the male will have a more bold black spot while females will have blue spangles in theirs. They also are smaller and the black top fin is smaller on a female.

Back
Top Bottom