Gourami compatibility question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taylerhill

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I currently have 3 gourami fish in my 10 gallon tank. Along with 4 Cory cats. The gourami are all different types, one dwarf, one blue 3 spot, and one honey. I just got the blue one today. I was under the impression they like to love in groups but the more I read it seems like they don't usually like to be in groups. So far my dwarf occasionally nips at or chases the honey but nothing serious. The blue and the dwarf have been checking each other out but no chasing yet. The honey is calm and just does his own thing until someone bothers him. Blue hasnt bothered the honey much at all yet. My question is, will these 3 most likely get along well? I have spare tanks I can move them to if need be but I want to leave them if they will continue to get along.1531023653980.jpeg1531023882106.jpeg

I’ve always found gouramis to have their own personalities. Some get along, some don’t.

I have a friend with the exact same mix of gouramis but they’re in a 150 litre tank. They get along, but also have room to get away.

Maybe see how they go?

each fish is different but i can tell you from keeping a variety of gouramis as they are my favorite fish you will find most gouramis to be aggressive. i had 2 blue gouramis and one would always chase the other. i now have the one gourami left in with an angel fish and he chases the angel fish constantly. the chasing didnt start until i had him for a year. now he is 5 years old. i have a honey gourami and i tried putting a betta in with him and within 30 mins he was chasing and nipping at it. i have a pearl gourami with black neon tetras and he doesnt mind them at all. i have a red flame gourami along with leopard danios and white cloud minnows and it doesnt bother any of them. i think it mostly comes down to other fish that are large with large fins that they consider a threat. from what ive read up on gouramis they are solitary fish until they want to breed and probably should be kept that way. like myo said though its all about the individual fish. i can tell you a 10 gallon tank with 3 gouramis is way to small of a tank and just asking for trouble. a blue gourami i wouldnt keep in anything less than a 30 gallon tank as they can grow to at least 6 inches.

I agree with the other posts. Tank is to small for them to get away or hide. Tempermant is a crap shoot. If you go with a solitary gourami with other fish besides gouramis get the faster fish in a school or schools. It'll figure out it can't catch them. A school darting around confuses it.

Back
Top Bottom