Gourami Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryanplaya

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
A co-worker wrote me this email:

"I had a gourami once, he was my favorite. Super bright orange, super social and adorable, duh. Then, he started being less social, he wouldn’t come to see me at the front of the tank anymore, he started hanging out in the back behind a plant, lost his color, and died.
The petsmart girl didn’t tell me that he was a schooling fish, and that I needed more than one."

Some things I have read suggests that gourami are not schooling fish but rather shouldn't be kept with one of the same species. Some suggest it's ok to have them with the same species.

Can anyone shed some light?

She is talking about getting a tank in the near future so I'd like to get this figured out before she goes and gets her new tank.

Also, if anyone has any stocking tips (will be limited because she is looking at a 15-20 gallon tank) that include at least one gourami, that would be appreciated.

Gouramis are tricky in my experience. They're anabantoids like bettas and, like their cousins, can indeed be aggressive towards other gouramis.

I've successfully housed two dwarf gouramis together but the one time I tried mixing a blue and gold gourami together, the latter beat the snot out of the former.

My new rule of thumb if I get some again is not to mix them.

You can mix them, there are peaceful species that exist.

Question is way too generic to give you an all encompassing answer though.

Start researching gourami as an entire species to find their basic requirements. Easiest way for you to help her figure out what kind she wants to start with and can move on from there.

Appreciate the insights and advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have a male and female dwarf gourami over a year strong. They are best buds ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424281436.762815.jpg

Really hard to get a pic they always greet me at the front glass looking at me. And she follows him like a puppy.

I love my fish!!!

Hi, gourami are my favorite fish and I have had several. This is just my personal experience: first gourami was a male dwarf one and I loved watching him but he was very territorial and made life miserable for all other fish in the 29 gallon tank. I currently have 7 honey gourami in my 29 gallon tank, all females except one male. Honeys are very peaceful and are all over the tank. Besides a few small tetras, this is a species tank because they do not like fast moving or aggressive fish. So I always recommend them. The others I have are 5 pearl gourami in a 55 gallon community tank. Still only one male. The 5 of them seem to enjoy each other and are often hanging around together in the tank. My only hesitation with the pearls is some people can have trouble with them being aggressive. I am guessing this would be possibly related to breeding but don't know. I have had my pearls for 7 months and there has not been any breeding activity. Again, the pearls don't like fast moving fish with them and they need plants especially floating ones to make them feel secure. So good luck. Honeys and pearls are good.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom