Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coleallensmom

Planted Tank Enthusiast
...Male or Female?

img_1203702_0_c8a595f18eecf4339d98f895292b5fca.jpg

Based on the finnage, I'd say female. The trichogasters look pretty much alike pattern wise IME.

Thanks for the opinions, everyone. I just "rescued" her from my LFS this week and her fins aren't in the best of shape. :( I was hoping it was a female but wasn't positive..however, the dorsal fin does not seem pointed to me. She's about three inches at the moment and very inquisitive!

Congratulations.

Gouramis are so smart and social. It breaks my heart that our LFS has a foot-long gourami in a tank where she can only just turn around. Every time you go into the shop, she swims immediately to the glass and just begs for attention. She wiggles and picks up rocks in her mouth to spray them. When you walk away from the tank, she will hang at the glass where she can see you walking down the aisle.
:(

:(:(

Thanks! This is my first gourami. I never had much interest in them as they usually don't seem very lively when I see them at my LFS. I was in buying some plant food and she caught my eye. She has seemed to blossom in my tank the last two days. Very busy little thing that loves swimming around in my plants. I had bought some tetra from that same LFS with damaged fins before and they were good as new in a month or so...hopefully she follows suit.

Are females agressive towards each other? Should I look for another or is she fine by herself?

:(:(

Thanks! This is my first gourami. I never had much interest in them as they usually don't seem very lively when I see them at my LFS. I was in buying some plant food and she caught my eye. She has seemed to blossom in my tank the last two days. Very busy little thing that loves swimming around in my plants. I had bought some tetra from that same LFS with damaged fins before and they were good as new in a month or so...hopefully she follows suit.

Are females agressive towards each other? Should I look for another or is she fine by herself?

Females are usually ok together. Males almost never are. If you have the room to add one, just make sure it is a female. I agree, they can be some of the biggest personalitied (yea, I made it up) fish around. Congrats!

Thank you, HN! She is definitely different than what I am used to. My black skirts have some personality but nothing like what she's exhibited.

I've read about agression with the males. I have her in my 37 gal with (7)Black Skirts, (6)Black Neons, and Zebra Danios(4).

Back
Top Bottom