Gravel or Sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How would you clean/rinse the sand before you put it in?? Sorry that's a stupid question as I have always used gravel:/

hcourts said:
How would you clean/rinse the sand before you put it in?? Sorry that's a stupid question as I have always used gravel:/

What I do is fill a 5 gal. Bucket about 1/3 full and wash it out until water runs out clear. Than empty it into another bucket and repeat.

vanimal said:
Low cost white sand-pool filter sand at home depot black blasting sand only at tractor supply Co

Hmm yes I tried my home depot did not carry white. Oh well thanks for the info.

Clean blasting sand VERY well with hot water. It is incredibly dirty and oily. I cleaned mine with the pillow case method but I used a pool that had been neglected for a few months (no chlorine and green) and then ran hot water through it for a bit. Super easy. ;)

vanimal said:
Oh can you post a pic of your tank?

Not really. It doesn't have a hood or light yet. ( buy all my tanks used ) and no I didn't put 100 pounds in a 20. 1/4 of 1 50 pound bag was more than sufficient.

Here is my 20 long with about 30-35 pounds of pool filter sand. BTW a 50 pound bag was $9.00.

ForumRunner_20120624_213000.jpg

racedvl said:
Here is my 20 long with about 30-35 pounds of pool filter sand. BTW a 50 pound bag was $9.00.

Blast and ****. THAT is the color sand I wanted. Sadly not what I had for choices. It's a lovely tank. Annoyed that I had to make do with tan lol

Thanks. Its far from done. I wanna start playing with live plants. And do some more hard scaping. As far as the sand, I got it at a pool supply store called The Great Escape. It was pretty clean, didn't need a ton of cleaning before putting it in.

for those that asked to see the sadly natural colored pool sand aquarium, here it is.
I could not post due to picture upload restriction despite canning my whole "photo album" so no clue what the deal is.
img_2000431_0_4faea0940405b94f8254b15584424ca4.jpg

This tank has since sprung a leak and is now out of commission 1 day before its inhabitants are due to arrive. Just my luck. I'm not messing with re-silicone ATM as more important duties are at hand. Guess Ill have to either buy a used 55 (I gave my second 55 away to someone in need) or a new 25 and reuse the stand from the 20. As you can see the tank a few posts up with white sand IMO is much more attractive than el natural.

*update* found leak and repaired but bought a new 55 since petcos running its sale. Of course it will sit empty for some time as the deals bare tank only lol so will still be using this 20g.

Back
Top Bottom