Green bug type thing.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marklab

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just got this tank, It was set up already to me getting it.

I just noticed today that their is a green thing hanging on one of my corals. I also noticed that a few of them were on my Brain coral. In the background! Please tell me what I should do.

The detail of the pic is not clear enough or close enough to make out anything. If possible take another with a bit more detail.

If I had to venture a guess, I would say a flatworm of some type but as I said I can't tell for sure. Not sure I've ever seen a green one.

If the coral in the background is a brain coral, it should not be positioned on the rock like that. They do not do well when surrounded by abbrasive surfaces. Best to place it directly on the substrate where only the base ends up nestling in the sand. Otherwise the flesh can become irritated and possibley necros or recede.

Cheers
Steve

I went to take another picture and I cannot find the thing anymore. Looks like I will have to keep an eye out.

They told me the coral in the back was a Brain. But I cannot find any pictures on the internet that look like it. It is hard on the whole bottom all the way to the edges. I am attaching a pic. Do you still think I should move it?

They also gave me an Anenmoe (SP?) They said it was a bubble tip. But I am not sure. Is it one of the bad ones?

Thanks
Mark

Your coral could be an open brain coral, Trachyphyllia geoffroyi, although, I've never seen one that color before. I'm not sure on the anemone. Condy maybe? (condylactis gigantea)

The coral looks much like a donut coral (Scolymia sp) which requires the same basic care as most brain corals would. I would still suggest moving it off the rock to the substrate. Just be sure it does not get placed in a high flow area.

I agree on the gigantea.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks you all!

I cannot find a picture of a doughnut coral on the internet that looks like mine! Wonder if that is what he is.

Thanks for the Anenome information. I was worried about him being the parasite kind. A few pictures on some websites looked like him but said the picture was of one that would kill your corals.

I have moved the brain to the substrate where the bubble was, and placed him on the rocks. The rocks are blocking most of the current from the Brain and the bubble seems to be getting less where he is also. Hope this is good.

Steve, You mentioned "basic care" for the brain coral. Is there anything else I have to do besides adding Calcium, Stronium, Molybendium, and Iodine?

Mark

BTW! You guys are good! That is exactly my Anemone! Did a search for the proper name and thought I was looking at my tank!

Thanks alot!

marklab said:
I cannot find a picture of a doughnut coral on the internet that looks like mine! Wonder if that is what he is.
Try meat coral, it's the same thing but different common name. Colors will often vary but I can asure you that's what it is.

Steve, You mentioned "basic care" for the brain coral. Is there anything else I have to do besides adding Calcium, Stronium, Molybendium, and Iodine?
All those additives other than the calcium are completely unnecessary and can often be dangerously overdosed poisoning the water. Many LFS will tell you these additives are required for coral health but they are not and it's just another way to part you from your money.

When it comes to minor trace element maintenance, rely on regular water changes not additives. With alk and Ca, always be sure to test before you add anything and try to keep your chemistry balanced. With smaller alk/Ca demands, water changes might keep up but as the scleractinian growth/population increases the need for CaCO3 replenishing additives become more necessary. They can be best accomplished with a 2 part liq additive or kalk.

Cheers
Steve

marklab said:
You mentioned "basic care" for the brain coral. Is there anything else I have to do
Sorry, forgot to answer this part a bit better. There is nothing you really need to do other than maintain good water quality and the chemistry. This type of coral will definately benefit from target feeding but it's not absolutely necessary. Most times when generally feeding the the tank for fish, the corals will gain some of the nutrient as well.

If you do decide to target feed, use small pieces of raw meaty seafoods or enriched mysis. Once a week or so would be plenty.

Cheers
Steve

It's okay but it wouldn't be my first choice. Some fish species may benefit from it and corals would still gain some nutritional value but you are still better feeding marine type meaty foods which will offer proper nutrition.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom