Green film on water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steo the great

Aquarium Advice Freak
Have a slight cloudy film on the top layer of my planted cichlid tank. Is this natural from a plated tank or so I do something about it.
Thanks

How is your circulation in the tank? Any stagnant water on the surface? If so, aim your output up at the surface to create some ripples.

meegosh said:
How is your circulation in the tank? Any stagnant water on the surface? If so, aim your output up at the surface to create some ripples.

Hey circulation is actually quiet good. But I have no air stone on any water agitation.
Do you think I so maybe add some.
Thanks

Yes, definitely need to create some sort of surface agitation. An air stone is a great way to create more water movement.

For a quick fix, you could also lower your water level so the drop out from the filter creates the churning that is needed. :ROFLMAO:

You don't need an airstone but surface agitation is required.

Hey thanks for the replys nice and easy direct answers lol. Here a lil pic of the 2 air stones I got installed just after you guys answered. Thanks again.

Attachments

• image-2593354544.jpg
    image-2593354544.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 131
Looks good! Keep us posted, as long as the surface is getting agitated the film should go away.

I changed the water while putting these in and it's gone already just have to keep an eye that it doesn't return I suppose

Well just one bad thing about having surface agitation. It is good for the fish but bad for your plants. Co2 escapes thought the air bubbles, and that is one of the most important things for for plants.

For the best results for your plants and fish turn the bubbles ON when the lights are OFF and the bubbles OFF when the lights are on. That will help with the Co2 lose. If you keep the bubbles on all the time the plants will suffer.

Are you injecting CO2 or dosing Excel? If not, there is no worries there. If you just have ambient levels of CO2 in your tank, it won't make a difference.

Hey I'm dosing with carbon and daily fertiliser. So what do you guys think will I only knock the bubbles in at night?

NYgiantsRP said:
Yes, bubbles ONLY on when the light is OFF.

I like the look of the bubbles though.
Is there anything I can get that will put the co2 back in the is being removed by the bubbles.

This is one of those pervasive myths of aquariums that needs to be dragged out behind the barn and dispatched.

A bubbler on a planted tank that is not CO2 injected has absolutely no consequences, and if anything INCREASES the CO2 levels in the tank by restoring it to the normal equilibrium conditions after plants use it. So by all means, use a bubbler if you like the looks of it, and it WILL NOT affect your CO2 levels unless you start DIY CO2 or something of the sort, Excel not included.

Also, if that's Mondo Grass in your tank, it's not truly aquatic and will eventually die on you, mucking up your water something fierce.

Hey thanks for all that info very useful. And do you think a co2 diffuser would be worth my while in a tank like this.

And I think that is a type of val not the stuff you said anyway?

Do you think if it's val it'll be ok?

All tanks can benefit from additional carbon, whether from CO2 sources or Excel. If you just have vals and other non-demanding plants and moderate lighting, it might not be worth the effort to do CO2, and vals have been known to have issues with Excel.

If you're getting good growth and are satisfied with what you have, I wouldn't bother messing with it. The airstone won't affect your balance at all.

Do you know if that's mondo grass?

I wouldn't be 100% sure it's not mondo grass being honest. is there any signs to check for it and how long would it survive if it was mondo grass.

And it seems to be grow ing rapidly. Along with my onion plant I have.

I'm not sure of any positive identification, unfortunately. Do you know where it came from and how long it's been underwater?

aqua_chem said:
I'm not sure of any positive identification, unfortunately. Do you know where it came from and how long it's been underwater?

Well it's been in my tank underwater for bout 3 months now.

And I get all my plants from a lfs.

Which are very knowledgable on all aspect of fish. Which is strange for a fish store lol.

Back
Top Bottom