Green terror HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Exteremecheddar123

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just got a green terror on Sunday. I have 9 other adrian chiclids. Yellow labs , johannis , aurutus( if that's how you spell it) etc. I also hve a jack Dempsey, convict and a silver dollar. So we put the green terror into our tank. My other fish started bothering him. He alwas stays in the corner and hasn't eaten since Sunday. I have a 30 gallon tank. Ammonia- 0 PH- 7.4 . I don't have the nitirite/nitrate test. I just did a 10% water change like the afternoon before he arrives into the tank. Now he is just in the corner all lifeless and whatever. I calls my aquarium guy and he said to move the plants and stuff around . He doesn't look any better !! HELP!! Thanks :)

Here's a pic of my sick green terror

Attachments

• image-1608800384.jpg
    image-1608800384.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 224
No it's not that's a green terror is just not a good pic. That's not the problem . Can u please tell me how to help it?

how many fish total are in your tank ?
i would suggest getting the full api kit, so you can test the nitrite, and nitrAtes as well
and also how old is your tank ?

ok, i'm not an expert on ciclids but most if not all ciclids and aggressive type fish need at least 50 gallon most of the time 75 gallon or more to be happy and not "pick on" other fish
do you have a lot of hiding places in your tank
each fish needs it own territory

Your stock is all wrong. Sorry if it sounds harsh but your mixing different continents together which is a big no no in cichlid keeping and if you do decide to mix it should he done in a large tank so that everyone has a territoryto claim. All the fish you have need a larger tank too, especially if keeping multiple species. A 30 breeder could be used for one breeding group of say your labs or johanni but not all of them. What your seeing is you othr cichlids seeing the green terror as a threat to the territory so more then likely this will keep happening til he's dead, rehomed, or a tank upgrade to a 75 minimum and I still would re think your stock.

I know I'm new to this I'm only following what my dad had . He had a 55 with and arowana, jack Dempsey, green terror. It's kinda the reason why we have them for. Its ok jr not being harsh. It's the truth I have little experience with fish and I just want the best. I have this other like 10 gallon tank. But it wudnt do much if u put some in there. I only wanted 4 fish. Which were jack Dempsey , green terror, red devil And I wanted an arowana . But I have younger siblings and they always wanted this stuff so we got them. I have like 1 tall plant 2 midgit ones and I tiny castle. My dad has some slate that we r going to put in later. So what your saying is that each fish needs there room. That I ant have anymore fish in the tank?

I don know if those fish can even e put in a tank together . I don't want to breed them. I barely know how to even take care of them! I don know how to breed them. It goes like this for me. Buy fish , feed fish, fuush thrive, fish die. Cycle start over . And if it is not good to cross continents , than how come this is not happening to my jack Dempsey, convict or silver dollar?

Because those are south American cichlids (except the silver dollar) and found in the same types of habitats. Cichlids as a whole a generally a very aggressive species. When mixing them you'll see battles for dominance and territory. If there isn't enough then the."boss" of the tank will make room by thinning out the numbers. Plus some of the mbuna you picked are HIGHLY aggressive for malawis like the johanni and auratus. Also, the JD will grow pretty large as well as a devil and especially an arrowona. If you wanna do a mix like that start looking into a 125 or bigger seriously lol. Just YouTube some arrowona tanks and look how big they get along with devils and dempseys. When I said a breeding group I just meant 1 m 3 f of one species like all labs or all johannis. Not to breed but just to keep. The rule of thumb is 1 male to 2/3 females to keep aggression down.

think of it like this with those fish in that tank, as they get bigger it will be like them standing in a crowded elevator shoulder to shoulder eventually they are all going to snap
just like we would if we were put in an elevator for a long period of time with a bunch of people

i would suggest if you can getting the largest tank possible
also i would take the green terror back he is not happy

I know but I can't do anything about that now .
I have those fish and I can't take them out. And I can't get a bigger tank. I went over the arowana deal w/ my dad the other day. My johanni and aurtus aren't the mot aggressive the most aggressive one I have is this orange one .
Basically its just like a given that they will kill him. But why didn't they kill the aurtus I put in with him?

This sucks man I understand I always wanted cichlid tanks to because they looks so awesome and I tried a bunch of times with tanks around your size and almost every time I ended up with one fish once they grew mature. I'm talking multiple times I've tried and failed with the smaller tanks. Fish all have their own personalities its weird so you can sometimes get certain fish to get along that don't normally. You picked one of the hardest types of tanks to keep In my opinion and these guys are right you need big tanks to be successful especially an arrowanna they eat anything that will fit in there mouth and they get big real big.

They also are right about keeping fish that live in the same lakes. If u do that your chances of success will greatly go up but if you mix different species from different places the fish are meeting new species they've never encountered before and will most likely get aggressive towards each other. In my experience (and this is kind of a joke but its usually true) the prettier the Cichlid the more aggressive it is.

Yea well the tiger fish arent bothering him now , but he is still in the corner . And
Like you said sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Like my jack Dempsey worked with them. And my dads said that I cudnt even get an arowana for a 30 gallon. (which I believe to be untrue) he just won't grow big. And we done wanna get him cu then all the other guys will prack at him and he only stays at the top .
I'm gpnna call my fish guy and get spmething else to do that will 'preserve' his life till he gets the guts or whatever

Attachments

• image-1391319736.jpg
    image-1391319736.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 130
Arrowanas need atleast a 250 gallon tank. I dont know where youre getting your sources from but their wrong.

BozziniINC said:
Arrowanas need atleast a 250 gallon tank. I dont know where youre getting your sources from but their wrong.

You could go slightly smaller like a 180-220 but your right.. their tank requirements are no joke lol

They aren't like bothering him anymore they are just going near him. Its all up to him to get comfortable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom