Green Water in Nano cube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

degbowl

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have had a nano cube for about a year. Now I am starting to get green water. My friend about 2 blocks away is having the same problem. I only have 2 albino frogs in it. It is not near a window. All my other tanks have no problems with cloudy water. Is it just a bad filter in the nano cubes? I was told it is too much phosphates. I don't over feed and do weekly water changes. I was told to try Pura phoslock. Should I just put some in a media bag and put in the nano cube? With my saltwater tank I use RO/DI water. I think I will start using RO/DI water in the Nano cube. I have a diatom filter that can clear it up, but then it comes back. I want to correct the problem not keep fighting the problem. I think changing to RO/DI water will help. Has anyone used Pura Phoslock? I want to be able to see my frogs.

Just to give an update. I decided to take frogs out and empty tank. I cleaned the gravel and put it back in. I cleaned the back filter area as good as I could. I can't really get my hands into filter area. I refilled tank with water. Two days later the water is hazy that I can barely see the frogs. The haze is starting to get green. I did a 50 percent water change today so I can see the frogs. I have new filters coming for my RO/DI filter this week. Then I will start using that water to see if it helps. I am getting white film on top of water. All my other tanks are fine. It is just this nano cube. Maybe there is something in the plumbing that needs cleaning. I mean what is filtering water through tank. My friend said they tried the same thing I did and is not getting any better results. Anyone else have similar problems and know what to do?

disclaimer: i know nothing about green water.

That said, when you mentioned that your friend who lives near you is having a similar problem, I wondered if something had changed with your water supply in the last couple weeks. It might be worth a call to the water dept. (ours is online and lists composition,, additives etc) to see if something has changed. If it has, that might give you a clue how to fix it?

That is what I was thinking, but I also have a 46 gal cichlid tank and a 40 gal fancy goldfish tank that I use the same water and have no problem. My filtration is much better on those tanks though. I also have a 30 gal FOWLR that is fine, but I use RO/DI filter on that water. I think I am going to start using RO/DI water in the Nano Cube. I just think there is something in the back of that tank that I am not getting to when I clean it out. That filter compartment is so small.

Back
Top Bottom