Growing plants on wood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

graucow

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does anyone have any advice for making plants spread across driftwood, it seems that they usually grow up instead of out for me.

Does anyone have any advice for making plants spread across driftwood, it seems that they usually grow up instead of out for me.

Can be many reasons to cause that.

One could be low light causing plants to "stretch" towards any available light.

Which light do you have over what sized tank? (size + dimensions).

Another could be your plant selection. Some mosses do not grow horizontal, rather they grow vertical. A few examples of this are Flame moss and Amblystegium serpens.

Other plants commonly attached to wood that would grow tall are larger anubias, java fern and bolbitus variants.

Smaller variants of anubias, java fern and bolbitus should grow horizontally, across wood. Buce can as well.

I would recommend Christmas moss, java moss, anubias nana "petite" java fern windelov and some smaller Buce species.

Goodluck.

Also, any pictures of the plants that are not growing how you want them to?

Another could be your plant selection. Some mosses do not grow horizontal, rather they grow vertical. A few examples of this are Flame moss and Amblystegium serpens.

Other plants commonly attached to wood that would grow tall are larger anubias, java fern and bolbitus variants.

Smaller variants of anubias, java fern and bolbitus should grow horizontally, across wood. Buce can as well.

I would recommend Christmas moss, java moss, anubias nana "petite" java fern windelov and some smaller Buce species.

Goodluck.

I am attempting to grow java fern on wood, both normal and narrow leaf java fern. The narrow leaf is in a standard 75 gallon tank while the normal java fern is in a 20 high tank. I am not sure on the brand of the lights and I am unable to check as I am away from the tanks for the summer. The 75 has a blue white led and the 20 has a RGBW led. The normal java fern has spread a little bit across the log it's on but is growing very slowly and seems it will take a long time before it could ever cover a large portion of the log. The narrow leaf is just growing upwards.

Goodluck.

The narrow leaf is attached to the log with lots of shoot offs, the regular one is in the other picture spread across some small drift wood, the floating portion was attached to the wood but it recently detached. Screenshot_20180620-161958_Messages.jpegScreenshot_20180620-161945_Messages.jpeg

For java fern we are limited to the direction the rhizome is growing.

Look for new growth coming out of the rhizome and direct it in the direction across the wood you wish for it to grow.

Back
Top Bottom