gudgeon advice/ experiances please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquakev

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just picked up what I hope is a pair of Goo-bo? gudgeons, they appear similar to peacock gudgeons. Does anyone have any experiances with them. I haven't decided if they will go in one of the large community tanks or get their own planted eclipse thats next to my bed.-> ony prob. with the eclipse is that I have had the filter off for about 3 months at least.

I actually just bought 6 Goo Obo gudgeons off of AquaBid.com 5 days ago. I bought them from RarefishatLAX. He ended up sending 8, so that's always a bonus.

Right now I have all 8 in my 55 gallon. When/if aggression becomes a problem between some of the males, I can move one or two to different tanks. Currently, they all seem to be content with each other. They just kind of sit around and stare back at you too. They are still small right now, between 1" and 1.5". They will get to a max size of 2.5" to 3". They look like they are going to be beautiful though.

Mine love frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp, but will also eat shrimp pellets and sinking carnivore pellets. They don't bother any other tankmates, so they do great in a community.

I'd love to give you some more advice on them, but I just got mine less than a week ago!

I've had peacock gudgeons, but no goo obo gudgeons.

Might have to go on my "to try" list, they are really pretty!

Jumpers

I have been waiting to get some and have talked with others who have bought from Rarefishatlax. All reported that the fish arrived well but that they liked to jump and some have lost fish to this behavior and one person lost all his to jumping. Are you seeing this jumping behvior too?

Re: Jumpers

Ghoti said:
I have been waiting to get some and have talked with others who have bought from Rarefishatlax. All reported that the fish arrived well but that they liked to jump and some have lost fish to this behavior and one person lost all his to jumping. Are you seeing this jumping behvior too?

I haven't observed any jumping yet. In fact, I don't know if I've even seen them in the upper half of the tank. I've got a hood on my tank so they couldn't jump even if they wanted to.

mine stay on the bottom of the tank.

P.S. less than 5 days after getting them they laid eggs and I saw the male tending them for 2 days, then cherry shrimp ate them.->oh well, next month.

aquakev said:
mine stay on the bottom of the tank.

P.S. less than 5 days after getting them they laid eggs and I saw the male tending them for 2 days, then cherry shrimp ate them.->oh well, next month.

Very nice, I hope mine breed soon. Where did you get your Goo Obo's? I see that you are in SoCal, did you pick them up from Tanner (RarefishatLAX) as well?

What did the gudgeons use to spawn in? I have two sections of 3/4" PVC pipe in the tank, but the clown loaches seem to like those.

there is a fish store out here that is keeping them in stock. I dont like the store much but what can you do.

I basically chose the female because she looked like she was going to explode, and I was pretty sure about the male because of the head shape and size difference.

They spawned in a crevace created by a smooth rock pushed against the side of the tank, so I think the cave method your trying should work if they can get in them.

Back
Top Bottom