Guppies and Platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aprlshwrs

Aquarium Advice Regular
They are compatible, right? I thought that they were...

My neighbor said they are not but I don't remember coming across that in my research. In fact, I found just the opposite...at least, that's what I remember finding. Can anyone confirm or deny?

I ask because I now have my platy in a tank with a number of guppies. They seem to all be doing fine except my one of my females hides out in the cave in the tank. However, that's nothing new...she's always been a little 'scaredy-cat'.

Yeah totally. They like the same water type, same temperature... I keep platties and Endlers together, platy fry and Endlers together, and always have. No problems whatsoever. However platties will definitely eat guppy fry.

Ok thanks...that's what I thought. Right now, all of my platy are hiding in the cave as the guppies have pretty much taken over the tank. However, I have a gazillion platy fry in my other tank. I'll be moving a few over when they get bigger. Hopefully, that will give some more company to the platy. I only have 3.

Actually, I really don't mind it if the platy eat the guppy fry. I have well over 50 fry in my other tank...maybe even around 60 or so. I don't need anymore fry. I'll think of it as population control.

They are perfectly compatible IME. I keep endlers and platy in my 20g. But any fish will eat the fry, even the parent platys.

Back
Top Bottom