guppies, any probs??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

totalbeginner

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have seen many posts and articles etc; that guppies are good beginner fish and are quite hardy and tolerant of a lot of conditions, but, i cannot seem to keep them,, when introduced into my tank after about 2-3 hours of "normal" behavoiur (considering they were put into a bag of water with stress coat added and transported for 15 mins to my home then floated for 3/4 hour) they just swim at the waters surface and in the latter stages of their life, which is about 14 days they hide behind my power filter then a few days later die, they are in with some mandatory neon tetras, 4 cherry barbs, 2 gouramis, a red tailed shark, a sucking loach, a silver shark and a single small cory. on the point of the barbs i was informed that cherry barbs are not aggresive. my water quality is good, the tank has been set up for 4 months now and the guppies are the only deaths ive had, i've tried 3 times, the first 2 times i introduced 2 males and they died as above, this last time i have introduced 3 males, after 1 day 1 died and the other two seem ok for now ( i got them the day after they came into the store, my young sister works there so i get first picks of fish) the store DAILY tests their water quality, the tanks are always crystal clear there. is there any common problems with guppies?? my tank is moderately decorated with rocks and artificial and live plants with a daphnia "forest" in one corner.

in summary, can anyone explain, or try to explain these deaths??

p.s. all of my fish are very young, and, yes i do realise that they can grow to realatively gargantuan proportions in the right enviroment but i am a total beginner and should have done my research in the first place, silly me. already looking at 200 litre tanks (60 u.s. gal?).

How big is the tank you have your fish in? Also, are you testing your water each time you have a new death?

-j

Hi,

I've similar problem. My tank was having no problems with other fishes. Whenever I tried to introduce guppies, they will stay on top and die after a few days.
Recently, I bought a male and a female. After few hour, I saw white cotton things on the face of the male guppies. I immediately quarantined both. However, the female just passed away 2 days ago. The male is still in the separate tank.
Should I move the male back to the main tank?

Re there any signs of disease? If yes then NO, if not then it would be OK. It is a good idea to Q your fish before putting them in the main tank anyways.

How do you introduce your fish to their new tank?

i do test my water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, all were fine, its a 20 gal tank but i have my eyes on bigger things.

there are no signs of disease, they are a very reputable dealer (pets at home) although the two that have survived to date have very large tails (compared to the last 5 that i have lost)
Quarantine is unfortunately not an option at the moment,

i introduce new fish by turning the lights out, float the bag for 30 mins, open the bag and let some water from the aquarium mix with it, float it some more the fish the fish out of the bag by netting them then gently placing them in as iv'e been told its good not to let the stores water mix with mine.

p.s the two guppies that were remaining still live today, not looking bad, feeding well and behavior good.

Back
Top Bottom