Guppies tank setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishfanboy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am gonna get some guppies in a 10g but I don't know how to setup the tank I also want mostly male and a few females so I don't get to overrun by fry

Is this your first tank? If so, be sure to read the stickies at the top. Don't make my mistake and try to do a fish-in cycle. I don't recommend the stress. :facepalm:

Go fishless, be patient, and don't add any fish until the tank is cycled. That would be the advice I would have given myself a month ago.

I am done cycling my tank I have had goldfish in there for about 2 months

Are you sure its cycled? Tested with a liquid test kit? Tossing some feeder goldfish in there for a couple months is not a sure fire way to cycle it if you haven't tested the water :)

I would recommend you just get males if you don't want many females, as it's quite important to have more females than males. What will happen, you ask - the females will simply get harassed to death and die of stress. The ratio should be 2 females per male, or just all males.
In your case this would either be 6 males, or 4 females and 2 males. So if you want a colorful tank just get all boy guppies.

I got 2 male guppies. They fought constantly. Then I added 4 females, but the males harassed the females until 1 female died. Then the males started fighting again because there was only 3 females

It stressed me out & I was t even in the tank ! It was a nightmare.

My LFS eventually took them all back for me

Someone more experienced here May be able to advise you, but I'll Never again be keeping guppies, no matter how colourful they are!

Should I do 1 male and 2 female guppies and a dwarf angel because I'll probably just get rid of most if the fry except for the ones with nice coloration

You're not gonna have fry with an angel in there. Will eat them like a garbage disposal. I had upwards of 60-70 guppies in my 72g bowfront. Great lil simple fish to care for

I wouldn't put an angel or glofish in a 10g. What about one of the smaller gouramis, like a honey?

So I found some guppies on craigslist for free and they have 20 so how many should I take

Back
Top Bottom