Guppy Breeding Log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Theyre supposed to double in size every day, right? And how often should they be fed, will three times a day work out?

alia258 said:
Theyre supposed to double in size every day, right? And how often should they be fed, will three times a day work out?

My last batch have doubled in size in about 5 days, and they do grow a little slower as they get bigger. It seems that mine have taken about a month to a month and a half to get to be close to adult size. Feeding three times a day should be fine, more is better if you can. My fry have done just fine with twice a day, seeing as I am usually only home a few hours in the morning and at night.

Keep this in mind guppy fry unload there stomach every 20-30 mins so you can feed two times in an hour

but I would say once in the morning, once when you get home, once at dinner, and then once before bed. This systems works great for me and on the weekends I try to feed more times a day.

I give them a ton of food in the morning so they can pick at it all day, then change their water completely and feed them again at night. I can do this because they are currently floating in a large betta cup in a larger tank.

Also if You have any plants around your fish room fake or real just throw them in the tank. This will help any fry that are in there that you don't know about.

Very true! I think the only reason I had 15 fry to scoop up the other night was the fact that the tank the other guppies are in has about 15 large fake plants and some fake breeding grass type plants, as well as a big glass thing they could hide under. Of course I had to rip everything apart to get to them, lol. I only really noticed that my female popped because I saw some of the fish darting about trying to eat one. I think I missed one, though, I saw a little fry in the main tank yesterday. He wouldn't have made it this long without all the plants.

I don't have any other plants, but I have two roman columns set up
Near the right side and the front right (I only have two) since the fry I saved from earlier today were attracted to hide on the right side and behind the heater (and in the big four columns stuck together and under my swords leaves) so my only real worry is that they'll be hungry for the whole night...I hope they make it!!!

alia258 said:
I don't have any other plants, but I have two roman columns set up
Near the right side and the front right (I only have two) since the fry I saved from earlier today were attracted to hide on the right side and behind the heater (and in the big four columns stuck together and under my swords leaves) so my only real worry is that they'll be hungry for the whole night...I hope they make it!!!

I know your mom is against you spending much on the tanks, but try to pick up some plastic "breeding grass" if you can. This is the low lying bushy grass looking plastic plants. They often come with 3 or 4 little pieces of it in a pack that can be separated or snapped together. Put it in a few different places in your tank, particularly behind decor and other places that already look like good hiding spots to give the fry more cover. Try to make sure there is some in every area of the tank so the fry don't have to swim far to find cover. This stuff is usually pretty dense and it makes it hard for adults to see the fry or get to them if they do see them.

Also, Alia, didn't you have a little pet keeper thing? The plastic box with the lid with the holes in it? If you do, you could do what I've been doing and float them in that thing to keep them safe, and just change the water in that thing as often as you can.

I don't have a pet keeper thing, I have a breeder box. I'm just sayin that Noir might still have a few babies left and if she has them tonight I hope they make it. Also, I plan on buying that grassy sword stuff whose name escapes my mind at the moment, but I have it written down somewhere. I'll be buying lots of aquarium stuff, if not tomorrow then by the weekend because I raised lots of babysitting money :)

alia258 said:
Oh! I don't mean to steal the thread! I'm sorry! I was just so curious...anyway, try feeding cruella extra and turn up the heat and change a large amount of water with RO, and that might trigger her birth (so I've been told) :)

Been doing that for a week... Hasn't done anything.
I may try RO water next week after I get paid...

Alia, Congrats on the fry it seems like forever we've been waiting!!

Also i think the one with the split tail may be unwell, some guppies are born like that. Sometimes it is because they have been nipped, etc. If you see guppy fry with really pointy tails too then it means they have clamped fins and are unwell. My ones that are born like that usually don't make it past three or four days.

If it were a lyre-tail it would be born with a full tail and then develop the extra pointy bits as it grows. I will see if I can find a pic of mine when it started developing one. Also, I could be wrong, as I have no knowledge of double swords.

I have that dechlorinater that in higher doses adds a slime coat to the fish and it has aloe in it to repair fin damage, do you think if I dosed that into the box it might help? I think the box is a half gallon? Maybe I'll dose for a whole gallon, maybe 1 1/2 gallons? Hmm can't do anything till I get home from school anyway (I'm just driving there right now...half an hour drive...ack!) I've been feeding them a mix of crushed goldfish flakes and crushed bloodworms, I have crushed tetra granules (what I feed the adults) for when they get older, how do you think I should switch the babies from the flakes? As a gradual thing or should I just start feeding them the crushed granules.

(p.s. the granules wouldn't crush as small as I wanted them to, I put all my weight into that rolling pin but they wouldn't listen. The flakes are just small enough for the babies to fit in their mouths, and they broke up a bigger flake which I don't think they could do with a granule)

(sorry this was so long) ^^""

Alia go to a thrift store, you can get fake plants a lot cheaper there then at petco or walmart or even hobby lobby. I got a big bag of christmas fireplace plants for like $1 and it had enough in it to cover 4 tanks. Also got two 10g tanks for $5 each. The plastic plants do float but just use some magnets to hold them down.

I would look in to getting some live plants( java moss or anything ) over time it will grow and you will have enough hiding places for the fry. But the sooner you buy it the sooner it will grow and give you more hiding places. When getting plants make sure to wash them in tap water to clean off any pond snails or other things.

Any more fry this morning?

I havnt seen any more fry, but I think she's still carrying 2-3 still ready to be born, this morning I saw some dark spots in her gravid spot (which was bright pinkish-red) and I think she might be holding them a little longer because the eggs were fertilized awhile after the first batch was fertilized?

I'm going to have my tank have all live plants, I was gonna get that sword grass stuff, and some stem my things, and maybe some longer haired moss :)

I would say get some java moss. I'm starting a java moss carpet. I believe it will help my fry

I hear java moss is a nice addition! I'll do that then :) I also have plans for Mexican oak thing and some sword grass and some frogbit and dwarf lettuce and maybe some of that bushy stuff that I forget the name of :)

Did you know that hippy fry eat the plants? Especially browning parts and they eat food stuck in the leaves ^^

Yes guppies also eat algae. Adults and fry both eat it.

Back
Top Bottom