Guppy question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliffz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Folks,
Ive had a community tank for years. I am considering a "Guppy" only tank. I see there are fancy tail pairs sold along as well as regular guppy's.
Question--Can I mix Neons with guppys?
How many fancy tail pairs should I purchase?
Are they easy to breed and I will have a population explosion?

Any other guppy advice is appreciated
Planted tank
55gal
co2
ferts

thanks

Neons might nip at the fins of the Guppies. You can pack a lot of Guppies in a 55-gallon and you would have a population explosion definitely. Livebearers are normally kept in 1:2 male to female ratios, because the males want to constantly mate, and this keeps them from harassing just one female constantly. This is also why you will get the population explosion.

Livebearers breed like crazy. Start with 2 males and 6 females and you will have a full 55 gallon in no time. Most live bearers are best kept in 1:3 ratio, 1:2 is the minimum. I have to disagree with theother, Neons and other similar Tetras probably won't be agressive. In fact most shoaling fish won't become aggressive towards other fish, its just not in their nature. If anything the guppies would be agressive to the tetras.

Guppies and neons get along fine, I have some mixed in my tank. However if you want to breed them you might not want to keep them together. Neons prefer softer more acidic water and guppies prefer a higher pH alkaline water with some salt. They will still breed, but you are cutting the parents' lifespan short.

Folks,
Thanks for some great advice!! I'll keep u posted!!

i would also recommend getting some sort of bottom feeder - a gang of cories would look great. and maybe a bristlenose or two for algae.

If you want to hold back a population explosion a few platties would help. I had one female that kept the tank under control.

cinnastix911 said:
If you want to hold back a population explosion a few platties would help. I had one female that kept the tank under control.

That's assuming your Platies aren't mating too. All females would be the way to go as males may get aggressive with each other. The only problem is that females are normally pregnant already when you get them from the fish stores.

Actually if there is one livebearer that has absolutely no post natal care its the guppy. They will eat them right out if the fry doesn't get into hiding immediately, doesn't matter if the fish is hungry or not. Platies, Mollies, and Swordtails tend to ignore fry unless they are hungry in my experience.

You shouldn't have to worry about a population explosion for quite some time if you start with 3 or 4. Honestly though, I don't recommends any livebearer unless you have a LFS that will take them later.

Back
Top Bottom