Guppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Starka

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Alright I went to my lfs and got some guppies 1 male 2 female. One of the females has something weird with her eye. It is completely gold, like she didn't have a pupil. Her other eye is fine, also I didn't notice this until I got her home. Its not bloated or big its just gold. She can move it and no fins are clamped, she's happy as she could be. All three are going in my QT 5gal.
I don't know if its some desease or a mutation. I'm going to keep an "eye" on her. I'll try and get a picture :-\

I would just watch her. It sounds like it may just be a genetic discoloration & nothing to be concerned about. :)

Guppies

Alright I went to my lfs and got some guppies 1 male 2 female. One of the females has something weird with her eye. It is completely gold, like she didn't have a pupil. Her other eye is fine, also I didn't notice this until I got her home. Its not bloated or big its just gold. She can move it and no fins are clamped, she's happy as she could be. All three are going in my QT 5gal.
I don't know if its some desease or a mutation. I'm going to keep an "eye" on her. I'll try and get a picture :-\

Hello S...

Your fish is likely fine, probably a genetic trait. You don't need to buy male Guppies at the LFS, just get females. They're already pregnant and the males just bother the females endlessly.

Your 5 G tank is extremely small even for a QT tank. Hopefully, you'll move your fish to larger quarters soon. Healthy female Guppies, in suitable water conditions will reproduce every 28 days and have between 20 and 100 fry depending on their age. Your male is likely not the father, the females were probably bred days even weeks ago and will store sperm and give birth several times.

I started with six females roughly seven years ago and now have seven large, planted tanks and about 1,500 individuals. Guppies are nice, hardy fish, good choice.

B

BBradbury said:
Hello S...

Your fish is likely fine, probably a genetic trait. You don't need to buy male Guppies at the LFS, just get females. They're already pregnant and the males just bother the females endlessly.

Your 5 G tank is extremely small for even a few small fish. So, you'll need to upgrade soon or find a home for the fry. Healthy female Guppies, in suitable water conditions will reproduce every 28 days and have between 20 and 100 fry depending on their age. Your male is likely not the father, the females were probably bred days even weeks ago and will store sperm and give birth several times.

I started with six females roughly seven years ago and now have seven large, planted tanks and about 1,500 individuals.

B

They are just being QT before place them in different tanks. Pwc every day and also have a filter made for a 20gal too. Testing the water too.
I went to the lfs store to just get a couple of females and fell in love with one of the leopard males and took them home. He was just soo pretty! :)
The females will be housed in a 15gal and I plan on using another 20gal as well.
I think I may end up with more than 5 tanks in the long run :)

Back
Top Bottom