H2O2 treatment, BBA, and anacharis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bluerose

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My BBA issue is getting worse... argh.

It seems to only be attacking my Anubias though-- not the Anacharis or the unidentified plant of some sort.

Shrimp are too busy eating fish food or algae wafers to bother it although I don't know if they would anyway...

The algae content in general in my tank is getting a little out of hand (on the walls especially) but I'm pushing stock limits. I considered a CAE but after reading about how much trouble they can be, no thanks.

So... H2O2 treatment. 3% at ~3cc/gal (will probably go with 2cc and spot-treat as it's not awful... yet). Will it kill my Anacharis? (I like the look of the stuff, but not the maintenance... or how it needs constant herding/thinning... I would ditch it and get new plants but at $10 a pop the Anubias are a little expensive and I'm not sure what else I can grow with my low lighting that's available locally.)

Suggestions?

i'm not sure if anacharis is sensitive to h202. it definately is to excel. i melted all of mine away till i had only 2 stems with no leaves. i was able to bring it all back though. my anubias though are plagued with green spot algae. when i dose phosphate it starts to clear up a little but it's always there. starting to give up. i'm just going to accept my spotted anubias.

You can take the anubias out and do a bleach, h202, or excel dip. This will kill the BBA without killing the plant if done correctly.

Also, the best way to control algae: CO2!!

Get a good DIY system rockin, and your BBA will be under control. Before I did CO2, I had BBA on my java ferns, anubias, everything. After about 1 week of good solid CO2, it was gone, and has not returned in 5+ months.

Tim, as for the green spot algae, it is going to almost always plague slow growers like crypts and anubias. I find the best way to control it is to about once every 3-4 weeks, pull my anubias out, and scrub the leaves with a soft bristled tooth brush. This keeps it under control. For other softer leaved plants, I just trim the old leaves... this gets rid of the algae on those leaves and makes room for new growth.

Remember that in a planted tank you are always going to have some algae, as algae thrives on the same stuff your plants do. The key it to just try and keep it under control and minimize any nutrient/light imbalances that will help it grow.

And remember, MagFloats are your friend! I use mine about twice a week, and that keeps my tank almost spotless (no pun intended :) ).

When I get some algae on a plant, I take it out and dip in 3% H2O2 for a minute or so. Next day the algae is pinkish orange and disappears in a couple of days. I've tried spot treating H2O2 - doesn't work for me. Neither does treating the whole tank.
For awhile I used to dip the plants in a 20 to 1 bleach dip but the plants were hurt, some did recover. With H2O2 the plants aren't hurt at all. Also H2O2 doesn't hurt the livestock when used as a dip.
Like fort said, CO2 is the best solution.
Charles

I've found these to be the best solution to BBA;

scats.jpg

They are commonly called Scats. I don't know their proper name. I had BBA bad in my 125gallon planted tank a few years ago. I added 2 of these little guys, and it was all gone in 3 days. They had to eat 4-5 times their body weight to get rid of all of it, but they did it. I was amazed. Never saw a spec of BBA in that tank again while I had them in there.

Cool looking fish Blackwood. Good to know there is another alternative for livestock that eat BBA.

My experience is that anything sensitive to Excel is also sensitive to bleach & H2O2.

I also take the anubias out to treat algae buildup. I use 1/2 strength Excel, dip for 60 seconds (leaves only) & the algae is gone in a day or 2. Excel seem to work a bit better than bleach or H2O2 for me.

Back
Top Bottom