Hagen's "Replacement" Media for the AquaClear HOBs...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ArtesiaWells

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a question. After recently re-establishing my 60 gallon tank after a bacterial infection wiped out my fancy goldfish, I have restarted with fresh media in my two HOB filters -- an Aqueon QuietFlow 55 (which takes two cartridges) and an AquaClear 110. I have new cartridges in the Aqueon, but with regard to the AquaClear, I needed to go out and buy a new sponge block insert and the BioMax ceramic rings that these filters take...

We found these items at a local Petsmart (well, actually, one store we went to had one open sponge for the 110 model that looked yellowish and discolored and we refused to buy it being that it didn't look clean, so we had to drive to the other side of town to another location that had the model 110 sponge in stock) but I was surprised to learn that the BioMax rings are ridiculously smaller in these "replacement" packages Hagen sells separately compared to the large rings that come with the filter when you first buy it -- also, the rings have been broken up into two pre-packaged media bags to just drop into the filter as compared to the large netted sack you have to fill when the filter is first unpacked. So, instead of one big sack of BioMax in a large net bag, as it comes in the filter's box, now I am running two smaller sacks of the rings and the rings themselves are tiny in comparison to the large ones in the past.

I am wondering if anyone knows whether or not this is normal in terms of Hagen's "replacement" media you buy for these filters, and if it's just as effective to run the smaller rings in the smaller bags as it was the large rings in the big net sack...

I am POSITIVE I bought the correct size BioMax package for our filter -- the model 110...

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom